Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil filler tube on the front of the engine has a small bracket for attaching a carburetor return spring in some applications. Is this not used on the '67 Camaro 327 Quadrajet application? It looks like the return spring for the Camaro goes back to a bracket mounted with the coil. Does anything go on this oil filler tube bracket?

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,694 Posts
Correct, the spring attaches to the coil bracket. I don't believe any 67 327 originally had the bracket on the oil fill tube. Fairly sure that was a 68 thing but not positive. You can see Rogers pic in post #7 here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, the spring attaches to the coil bracket. I don't believe any 67 327 originally had the bracket on the oil fill tube. Fairly sure that was a 68 thing but not positive. You can see Rogers pic in post #7 here.
Outstanding! Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I need to look for a different filler tube.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,846 Posts
Not (68) AFAIK...I've never seen a filler tube that way. How 'bout a photo, please ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The oil filler tube on the front of the engine has a small bracket for attaching a carburetor return spring in some applications. Is this not used on the '67 Camaro 327 Quadrajet application? It looks like the return spring for the Camaro goes back to a bracket mounted with the coil. Does anything go on this oil filler tube bracket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dale. My 67 RS original motor 327 2 bbl has a spot on the stat housing for the return spring. It is actually part of the housing. I do Not have the bracket at the coil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dale. My 67 RS original motor 327 2 bbl has a spot on the stat housing for the return spring. It

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,694 Posts
Not (68) AFAIK...I've never seen a filler tube that way. How 'bout a photo, please ?
Garth, I think I got that impression from this thread on CRG when I was chasing intake manifold info a few years ago. More searching today for part #3711724 (tube w/bracket) shows applications for Corvette and others but not including Camaro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the oil fill tube I have that came with my 327. Originally had a 2-barrel carb, I'm upgrading to a Quadrajet. Intake is a numbers correct manifold. Can't vouch for the authenticity of this tube - it was on the engine when I bought it. I see the little bracket/tab is spot-welded on. If it's not correct I can remove it and rework the area.

·
Premium Member
14,015 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,015 Posts
This is the oil fill tube I have that came with my 327. Originally had a 2-barrel carb, I'm upgrading to a Quadrajet. Intake is a numbers correct manifold. Can't vouch for the authenticity of this tube - it was on the engine when I bought it. I see the little bracket/tab is spot-welded on. If it's not correct I can remove it and rework the area.
View attachment 275829
I believe you will also need to replace the coil bracket. The 4 barrel air cleaner is larger, so the coil may hit the air cleaner with the 2 barrel bracket.
That fill tube appears to be from earlier SBC models.

Roger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe you will also need to replace the coil bracket. The 4 barrel air cleaner is larger, so the coil may hit the air cleaner with the 2 barrel bracket.
That fill tube appears to be from earlier SBC models.

Roger
Yes. I needed a 4 barrel coil bracket so it can sit at that crazy angle. The engine I bought was pretty bare. It's been eye-opening working on this 327 and discovering all the differences between BB & SB, and then between 327 and 350, 2-barrel & 4-barrel, etc. My previous experience was working on my 1948 Chevrolet where every engine and item is identical. No choices or options. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts