Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My canister type oil filter no longer fits my '67 327 with my new Doug's headers. How do I convert to a spin on filter? They should be short enough to fit.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
oger said:
You need an adapter for an early block the later factory ones don't work.
Anyone know where to get one? I tried NAPA, Kragen and Autozone, no luck.

EDIT: Found 'em at Summit, I guess I'll have to wait a couple of days until it comes in.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
And if not mistaken, you HAVE to run the cannister check-valve fitting next to the block stacked "under/on-top-of" the aftermarket spin-on adapter OR you won't get any real oil filtration b/c all that will happen is you will just fill up the new spin-on filter!

Check me on this guy's b/c I want to tell him right??

pdq67

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pdq67 said:
And if not mistaken, you HAVE to run the cannister check-valve fitting next to the block stacked "under/on-top-of" the aftermarket spin-on adapter OR you won't get any real oil filtration b/c all that will happen is you will just fill up the new spin-on filter!

Check me on this guy's b/c I want to tell him right??

pdq67
Yer right pdq. It was just delivered. I'll install it tonight, lokks like a 5 min job. Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I just installed the new pice. It is a "Perma-Cool Brand Part No. PRM-1134".

It replaces the stock unit and does not have a check valve fitting. What are the pros/cons to bypassing the bypass valve?

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
No bypass valve means when the filter is full of dirt and debris, the oil flow will stop.

But, that's not a concern for us, is it?

Its an oil filter bypass valve. When the filter gets full from not changing it often, the valve opened up and allowed oil to bypass the filter. It was an "idiot valve" for those people who didn't change oil filter with every oil change, if they changed the oil at all.

You may want to check, it seems I remember the kit I used years ago still required the cannister O-ring to seal between the adapter and the block. I don't see a sealing device in the picture. I see the gasket for the adapter-to-block, but I don't see one for the outer ring of the adapter to the block.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the clarification. Since I will be changing the filter at every oil change, it shouldn't become a problem. There is a rubber o ring that comes with the kit as well that goes around the outer ring to block. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
Don't jazz throttle too much in cold weather until oil warms up, could pop a filter or gasket. This also puts more load on oil pump when cold and in turn more load on dist gear to cam gear... Be careful ,, over time you could wear down gear.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies. I had the chioce of Ford or GM filter. I went with GM because I didn't know better. I live in SoCal now and I will be moving to the Ft Worth area next summer so hopefully I wont see much cold weather for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts