Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and gals) Has anyone came across an oil filter magnet? I saw one in a motorcycle catalog the other day, but have never seen one for a car. Is this a good idea? Bad idea? This magnet is like a housing that goes over an existing filter and when any metallic in your oil goes through the filter it supposedly stays in the filter (micro small particals)attached to the wall of the filter which the magnet is holding too from the outside. At first, I thought to myself "why didn't I think of that!" but I need some opinions. I believe that if its too good to be true, it probably is theory, but these are on the market for Motorcycles and was wondering if any one out there has any opinions.

thanks!

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Sounds like a gimmick to me. The purpose of an oil filter is to trap the bad stuff and keep it from recirculating. If it needs a magnetic sleeve to do its job..... A fair amount of the stuff prone to wear isn't even magnetic, anyway, and a lot of the other contaminants that can find their way into the crankcase aren't either. (Pistons, bearings come to mind.) That said, GM put a magnetic drainplug on my Fastburn 385.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
they are available for cars, and it can't hurt to have it. things like piston rings are made of iron, and wear out. the metal that comes off has to go somewhere, and might be too small for even the best filters to catch. also, i have heard of loose casting flash coming off the block an heads and winding up in the oil. it comes down to where you would rather have that stuff- held tight against the oil filter case, or floating around in your oil. the best part is that they are reusable, and probably won't ever fall off. buy it once, and never worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
My brother has had one in his Mitsu Montero for around 8 years now. Don't know if they are good or not, but it haven't hurt the engine either. doesn't look like a bad idea, I think some automatic trans have a magnetic drain plug or a magnetic round plate inside the oil pan.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
pdq..??? why would someone glue a black rubber to a transmission? Kinda difficult to reach when ya need one isnt it? :D

[ 03-17-2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: click ]

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Well I shouldn't suggest this......but here goes.

I read the post and got thinking on all the turbine engines I work on we have chip detectors. Why not install a chip detector into the sump of the pan? It's just a magnet installed usually in the scavenge line, but for automotive simplicity it could go in the sump of the pan near the pick up screen. If a piece of ferrous metal is large enough to bridge a gap on the magnet (actually two magnets with a small gap between them) it completes a circuit and turns on a light on the instrument panel. You'd catch failures long before they become a problem. Not just pieces or slivers or chips, but ferrous filings or "fuzz" will stand end to end until it completes bridging the gap.

So there you go, someone go ahead and adapt these for the auto enthusiast. It would be real simple to do and on some of these big dollar motors I'm sure they'd sell. The biggest problem I see is because it isn't installed directly into the scavenge side of the pump it wouldn't be quite as effective. The other problem is by design the internal combustion automotive engines create metal by design, where the turbine should never make metal, unless you have a bad roller or ball bearing or a planetary gear problem.

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
These magnets, such as those inside trans oil pans, catch and hold ferrous metal chips till the time the pan is dropped and these magnets can be cleaned. These magnets pick up the chips the oil pump and filter do not.

Those magnets clamped to the outside of the filter casing aren't bad, but, doesn't collect the chips on the oil pan bottom. Magnetized pan plugs work fine, but, it does get crowded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts