Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I have a serious question regarding the oil filter on my '99 SS.
I never before had to think about this because generally you change the oil & filter at the same time.
This one has me stumped, however it should be a simply yes/no answer to someone who is a Guru. I have a slight leak coming from the oil filter on my engine; I am thinking the shop that performed my last lube/filter job screwed the filter on too tight causing it to leak.
---Heres the question: (I want to retain the oil in my crankcase) --so the question is can I simply remove the filter and replace it with a new one; ..or will the engine oil drain out, (from the filter housing), while I am replacing it?:confused:

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
You'll drop a little oil, whatever's sitting on top plus whatever's in the filter. Drop it, fill new filter with fresh oil, smear a little on the filter gasket, install, and go.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The oil is in the sump so you will only lose what is in the filter and a few drops from the feed tubes.

As the above poster said, fill the new filter with oil and change it out. run the engine once you have swopped filters and then let it sit on a level road for about 5 mins, dip the oil and check the levels. it might need a tiny little bit probably not since you already filled the filter.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I always use a large zip lock bag around the filter to catch a bulk of the oil so that the surrounding underbody does not drip everywhere. Catches the filter as well.

·
20,136 Posts
You will be fine...
With motor OFF, remove the filter, clean up the mess, and as above said fill the new filter up with fresh oil before installing, take a finger and dip in the fresh oil then coat the seal lightly, screw on until it touches, and then add 1/2-3/4 turn or so.
Check your oil level and add as needed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check and make sure the old oil filter ring/seal did not stick to block. If so, this could be the cause of your leak. If you remove your current filter and there are two seals on the filter, that is your problem.

Also, make sure they installed the correct filter.

Good Luck
Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:yes:..thanks for all the quick responses to my oil filter dilemma. I've never had this happen to me before, in all my years of wrenching on my cars.

·
14,732 Posts
Another option is take it back to the shop that did the oil/filter change and get them to fix it.

Personally that would be the #1 choice for me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts