Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K&N, HP-2002 Oil filter on my small block chev.
The problem is the filter comes into contact with one of the primaries on the headers.
Obviously this could be a concern if the pipe wears through the filter.

The HP-2002 is 119mm (4.7") tall and the OD is 93mm(3.68")
I think I need either a shorter or smaller diameter oil filter to clear the primary pipe.

Maybe K&N filter HP-1011 will fix the problem [Height 87mm (3.41") and OD 93mm (3.68")]

Anyone else have a similar issue?

I don't want to bash the primary for clearance and I don't want to go for a remote filter.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
AC delco makes a short filter that may help. Otherwise I'd go to a remote oil filter. You don't want exhaust touching your filter, that will heat up your oil to some degree.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AC delco makes a short filter that may help. Otherwise I'd go to a remote oil filter. You don't want exhaust touching your filter, that will heat up your oil to some degree.
Thanks, I'll have to check out the shorter filter.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I use a wix 51069, its about 4.25 ".

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would modify the header tube.Using a smaller filter will only bypass more oil,which is never good.Any small performance loss you see from a flattened header tube iis a small price to pay for engine longevity.I had to do the same thing on one of my Camaros with cheapie headers,the way to go would be to put a short piece of wood on the opposite side of the header tube to spread the load,then use lare vise grips or a C clamp to flatten only the offending side of the tube,that would make the modification look more acceptable.I cant believe that anybody would make decent headers that dont clear a large oil filter.I would have sent them back,there isnt a reason in the world that you cant make headers to fit ANY production chassis and still fit a long filter.Cheapie headers use the excuse that they need to make headers that fit 5 different cars to save cost,but if somebody is making $400+ coated headers,the least they could do is make them fit the specific application.Good luck.

·
Registered
356 Posts
what if you indexed the oil filter, take it off and put a small dent in it? Or do they make a taller truck filter that you can dent farther up from bottum of filter?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
57099 is the shorty wix and PF454CL is the ac. I was lookin up some stuff for my Silverado and remembered to look up your deal too.

The man said he ain't dingin his headers, Rich.;)

I would beat hell out of the header personally, extract a little revenge for all the blood and flesh I've lost to headers over the years.:D

Bent oil filters is bad juju, some say. I'll run em with a small ding that I don't think goes to the media. Oil filter manufacturers will not warrant a bent filter, nor will an engine manufacturer if their engine's filter gets bent.

Heck, the way we change oil/filters in our cars whether they need it or not, a shorty filter isn't a big deal. My good engines never darken the oil hardly and I change it.

And I'd bet,,,,,if you were to lay open a newer vortec 350 tinker toy filter and a shorty of our older bigger OD style, you'd find the shorty may have close to the same area media. maybe. heck Idunno. But I'll still lay a nickel on it. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,448 Posts
57099 is the shorty wix and PF454CL is the ac. Bent oil filters is bad juju, some say. I'll run em with a small ding that I don't think goes to the media. Oil filter manufacturers will not warrant a bent filter, nor will an engine manufacturer if their engine's filter gets bent.
If you remove the filter, take a length of wood, say the length of the tube, place the wood against the tube, pry with a crowbar using the block as the fulcum, the 1/4-3/8 inch of clearance is there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just go with the shorty filter. Its actually not how big the filter is or even how much filter material in the filter,It comes down to how many microns the filter material will filter. Sometimes bigger is not better. In todays modern high revving engines the filters are referred to cotton reel filters cause they are actually quite small in size but are more effective than the big old filters. Just make sure you buy a quality filter with anti drain and relief valve built and you wont have a problem.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Just go with the shorty filter. Its actually not how big the filter is or even how much filter material in the filter,It comes down to how many microns the filter material will filter. Sometimes bigger is not better. In todays modern high revving engines the filters are referred to cotton reel filters cause they are actually quite small in size but are more effective than the big old filters. Just make sure you buy a quality filter with anti drain and relief valve built and you wont have a problem.
Filters.. Bigger is always better.
The larger the filtering area, the less restriction. The less microns, the more restriction, so you need area.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
If you remove the filter, take a length of wood, say the length of the tube, place the wood against the tube, pry with a crowbar using the block as the fulcum, the 1/4-3/8 inch of clearance is there.

yup, I would pry on the tube too but it's more fun to remember beating on headers. ;)

It depends on which tube whether it stays or not and looking at his pic I think you are right as usual Ev. Before I went to a remote filter on my car I gained a lot of clearance beating and prying, but still had to remove all the lb header bolts to get enough clearance to get the filter in or out of there without making a mess. Kickout would say nonono, let the mess begin:). Had to lay the filter horizontal and do it from the front.

Pretty expensive doing a remote filter with 3/4" ss, brought on problems of it's own ...... but fighting headers isn't one of them. And now if I want to do an oil cooler or delta p gauge it's all easy access. I know the man said he ain't doing a remote filter. Doesn't look like he needs to. I needed to.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice.
I have kept the larger filter.
I marked the filter with a pen where it was touching the header, turned the filter 90 degrees and "massaged" the appropriate area with a mallet then tightend the filter back up again.
Now I have approx 1/4" clearance.

I am thinking I will go for a remote filter setup later.

Anyone got any suggestions for remote filter set ups?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
A/c delco or wix..the only 2 choices..all the other are gimmics!!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I just clearance my headers on the 79.It isnt hard to do,but you need some strong hands.I got a thin block of wood about 4 inches long,and a set of huge channel lock pliers that opened big enough to fit around the header tube and the block of wood together.Put the block of wood on the opposite side of the tube from where the dent needs to be,put the channel locks around the tube and the wood with the tube as far into the jaw as possible,squeeze with all your might,move the channel locks 2 or 3 times to different positions to get the entire area flat.Presto,you have plenty of clearance.

As for filters,I used Delco,Wix and Purolator on all my engines until I started using bypass eliminators on them.I now use a Moroso race filter on everything.The K&N may have the same setup,but I dont know.The Moroso filter has a lot of filtering area,and doesnt filter out the super small microns that regualr passenger car filters do,this reduces the restriction of the filter.Late model cars use little filters because they use very thin oil and very tight clearances,so there is little flow through the filter and what does go through needs to be filtered super fine.I use straight 30 or 15W40 in all my engines,and clearances toward the loose side of spec,so I need a lot of flow and a real race filter is the only way to get it with the heavy oil.Small particles do nothing to harm your engine,they only contribute to sludge buildup,but since we dont go 10,000 miles between oil changes like most passenger car owners do,we dont need to worry about that.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts