Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to put my new engine in and I test fitted the headers and I found that the oil filter will not come out by the headers and oil pan and bell housing. Here is my set up.
427 dart SHP block
Moroso 7 qt pan
Dougs 368 Headers
Lakewood Bellhousing
What are my options? It looks like if the bellhousing had a half moon bite out of it it may come out that way. Is there a remote filter option?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the same problem-I can get a small filter in but I like bigger filters so I run an adapter that screws on the filter mount and has a in/out 1/2 pipe thread holes with 12 AN hoses to the filter mount/cooler
There is a real nice adapter that bolts on(uses the pres relief holes)Moroso?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I am getting ready to put my new engine in and I test fitted the headers and I found that the oil filter will not come out by the headers and oil pan and bell housing. Here is my set up.
427 dart SHP block
Moroso 7 qt pan
Dougs 368 Headers
Lakewood Bellhousing
What are my options? It looks like if the bellhousing had a half moon bite out of it it may come out that way. Is there a remote filter option?
Which are you using? The quart filter or half quart? You could try a PF454 to see if there is enough clearance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the quart on it now. But I don't see how a shorter one will work it the diameter that seams to be the problume, I will get one and try it thought to be sure.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use the PF 454 on the Camaro and the Corvette with headers and there is no issue with clearance or removal. The only thing I have to do is put a small sheet of plastic over the headers when I change the filter to keep the oil from running down on them.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,456 Posts
When I was running my 355 with moroso kick out pan and hooker super comps, I had to take the Z bar out everytime I changed the filter, It was a real PITA. Oil all over the headers just a mess.
When I put in my 400, I used d368 doug's and a B&B drag pan, Filter has plenty of room comes right out.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
A couple tips for not getting oil all over the headers that I learned years ago froma crusty old mechanic I worked with.

1. Use a 12" section of 5" dia heating duct as a shield. Wrap it around the collector area. Any oil that hits it will drip off and it won't be a fire/melt risk like plastic or paper towels.

2. Pierce the end of the filter with a centering punch and let the oil drain while you drain the oil from the oil pan. A coffee can (metal or plastic) works great as a drip pan for the filter.

When everything is drained, remove the filter and you'll have a lot less mess to deal with.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That or just put a remote mount on the front frame stub and change your oil with your eyes closed. :D

You can see the blue filter up in the far right hand corner.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to NAPA and got a short filter and it woun't go out the bottom but it would come out through the top but there is a boss sticking out of the block just in front of the oil filter area that if I where to cut it off would let the filter come out the top. Is there any reason to not cut this boss off from the block? It is a dart SHP and I am not sure what this boss was for. It has a threaded hole in it like the one for the Z bar but is about 6" in front that location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts