Team Camaro Tech banner

oil gallery plug concern (press type)

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  patvac 
#1 ·
Hi, i am rebuilding my 350 and i am having a little concern. Should the oil plug under the 5th main cap be flush whit the block (plug is about 1\2 inch) or slanted about one inch deep. The plug was like in the second part of the description and was deform. was it supposed to be like that???

thank you

#2 ·
I don't think it should be slanted as it is the route up to the main oil galley by the lifters.
If the block has been hot tanked for cleaning, the plug, as well as the others, should be removed and the galleys cleaned with a bristle brush and hot water followed by air dry with a blow gun.

Whatever material is in the galleys, will go through the bearings. Do the same for the crankshaft. You new bearings will love you for it.

#5 ·
Patric,
The plug goes in about an inch. It should not be "slanted" There is actually a step in the hole that will stop it from going too far. I just measured one, the step is about 1 1/8" in the hole. Depending on the year of the block, there are actually two different size plugs. The later model blocks, from about 1986 and newer, use a smaller plug, I think it is 15/32" instead of the 1/2" plug that the old blocks use.

I have a 3/8" bolt about 5 inches long that I use for a "punch" to install them with. If you need to get the old one out, you can use a long skinny screwdriver or punch down through the hole where the oil pressure gauge screws in.

#7 ·
Patric,

I sent you a PM, but after looking at this picture, yours is probably the new style smaller plug. If you have a good machine shop near you, they should have some of them. Both sizes come in the freeze plug kits and we have a box full of the leftover small ones. I will also repeat here my answer about the function of the plug:

The plug directs oil through the oil filter. If you leave the plug out, oil will go straight from the oil pump into the engine without being diverted through the filter. The only reason the plug is there is to make sure oil goes through the filter. It has nothing to do with the rest of the oiling system of the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.