Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tech in Arizona tried to repair the leak removing and resealing the intake manifold. Still leaking and now he says that the oil is coming from the head gasket. He says there are oil journals on the outside edge of this engine.

It leaks about a half ounce of oil after driving 50 miles. The runs very well and has no coolant leaks. I was charged $563.00 for the first repair and wants $2027.00 to replace the head gaskets!

This doesn't sound right, are the head gaskets the problem? I hope someone can help.

Thanks, Ed:confused:

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
Time for a second opinion Ed. I know in '96 they had a recall on the LT1 in Camaros for an oil leak at the rear of the intake manifold. Don't know if prior years were included though. The way the engine sits under the cowl in the 4th gen it would be very hard to visually diagnose the leak as a head gasket. What tests or proof does the mechanic offer to support the expense of pulling a head?

I would be inclined to check the simple stuff like a bad valve cover gasket or possibly still the intake manifold. If there was an internal pressure build up that caused the original seal to fail and it wasn't resolved it could very likely cause the same leak again.

Anyway, not saying your mechanic doesn't know his stuff but based on the small amount of info you provided you need to ask more questions and maybe let someone else look at it!

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
M 94 z had the intake leak at the back and was repaired under warranty and have not had any leaks since. I agree with the statements above, get a second opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts