Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I got a drop or two of oil dripping from the lower bellhousing? I'll jack up the car this weekend and find out for sure ,but what do you think could be the originating culprit? A loose oil pan, rear main seal,..... I'll post the source later when I find it. :confused:
Any thoughts?
thanks
Kelvin

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I got $10.oo says it's the rear seal :D

Don't forget to check the little things like the oil pressure sending unit if it's mounted at the rear of the engine. A Valve cover leak can show up here to sometimes.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I had the same problem, and it was from the transmission. Not the input shaft, but a little button about the size of a nickel. (maybe a counter gear shaft seal?) Someone told me you should "always fill that area with silicone before installing the tranny." I separated the tranny from the bell housing enough to fill the button area using a paint stir. Hasn't leaked since.

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
Rear seal or oil sending unit. both of mine leaked :eek:

·
Registered
955 Posts
On my 69 it was the rear main seal. On my 75 it was the valve cover gasket and then the oil pressure line and on the 93 Z it was the rear intake manifold gasket. All of these dripped oil from the bottom of the bell housing. This all happened over a period of three months. It was easier to replace the rear main seal in the 69 thn it was to replace the manifold gasket in the 93. All are fixed now but what a pain.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully I found my oil leak. It was the driver's side valve cover. Somehow a bolt had become loose and oil was slowly dripping down the side of the block. I cleaned the block up and tightened the valve cover. It's too late to start her up tonight, so I'll take her for a test drive tomorrow. Thanks all for you ideas.
Kelvin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts