Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a aftermarket hi-flow fuel pump on a 396 that has 60psi oil pressure at start-up.(sometimes even more, depending on the outside temp.) The fuel pump is a unit that can be easily taken apart and rebuilt or the inlet and outlets can be turned to a more convenient rotation. Anyway, I found oil dripping from the pump, but can't seem to see where it is coming from, is it possible that oil could come from the gasgets that are between the pump halves? I tightened the allen screws that hold the pump together and they were slightly loose, the 396 rumbles pretty good, anyone have a simmilar experience?

·
Registered
960 Posts
i'd pull off the fuel pump and put on a new pump to block gasket. make sure the mounting surface is good and clean before you put on a new gasket. you could always put a small amount of rtv on the gasket to hold it onto the block while you slide on the fuel pump. while your down in that area, check to make sure that your oil pan bolts are also tight.
good luck,
bruce

·
Registered
246 Posts
Of course, checking for cracks in the fuel pump body and pump to block gasket that may have died is job one.

There is a small hole drilled into every fuel pump casting for venting, and if the engine has a problem with crankcase pressure relief, oil will come out that hole.

Check the PCV system. Don't have a PCV system? put one on, they work and don't take an ounce of power to use.

·
10,144 Posts
There is an oil seal inside the pump. Do as IgnitionMan says. If it doesn't help, change the pump. I had a 70 BB camaro that leaked out of that little vent hole on long right hand turns like freeway off ramps. You could see the smoke.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts