Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 350 engine in my Camaro with less than 3000 miles on it. I was driving last week and smoke started pouring out of the back of it. I pulled over and oil was leaking from the back of the engine(passenger side) onto the passenger side header. Any ideas where this might be coming from? Doesnt look like a valve cover gasket. Hoping it's not a rear main seal. It only starts leaking when it gets good and hot. I am taking it to the shop tomorrow, but I was hoping someone might have been in the same boat at one time or another. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Oil pressure sender behind intake. Hope so. Worse would be the intake seal on the rear. Even worse would be the rear main. Hope it's not serious. tom

·
Registered
297 Posts

I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM in my 67 with headers. The car would start smoking at stoplights once it warmed up. I didn't think it was the valve cover on the passenger side either. I thought it was the rear main. Well, I was prepared to yank the engine again during my spring break a week ago, but on VERY CLOSE inspection, I discovered it was the passenger valve cover gasket in the extreme back corner. Here, it was running out of the back of the valve cover, down a VERY narrow path on the BACK of the head, down one of the TH-350 forward mounting tabs, and dripping on the top of the header collector. Replaced the valve cover gasket, and no more smoke. Let me know what you find. I replaced my rear main about a year ago, so if you need any advice don't hesitate to ask...my email is [email protected] good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This may sound a bit bizarre, but I had a similar problem on my '79. Oil was leaking from front of oil pan and wind was pushing it on exhaust (it also found it's way to fuel lines on passenger side and to edge of heads- I though it was valve cover for sure, but after replacing cover and gasket twice, I eliminated this suspicion. I took out front pan bolts (under timing cover)- cleaned them and put silicone on them and reinstalled, leak's been gone for a couple years now.

My point is- check pan, if bolts weren't put in with a sealer or loctite they will work their way out over time and squirt oil in all sorts of strange ways.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I agree with Eric.....my '69 was doing the same thing...turned out to be the pan gasket was leaking.....

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Got it back from shop and he said the valve cover gasket was leaking. He cleaned and tightened, but did not change the gasket. Said I needed to do that. What brand of gasket should I buy? Everyone says FelPro.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Fel-Pro part# vs12869 5/32" thick. If you have any warpage on the valve cover go with a vs12869ac, its 7/32" and will help with any warpage. Do not go with the vs12869r, its a neoprene/rubber gasket. I have not had good luck with them. They tend to slip out of place without keepers. I also recomend using permatex ultra black sealent. It is so much better than the blue stuff. Also just apply it to the valve cover after cleaning the edge with a solvent to remove any oil residue. I also go over the area with something like paint thinner or rubbing alcohol. Really gets anything left from the solvent and dries quick. I spread the ultra black on one side of the gasket with a putty knife. A thin coat is all you really need. Let sit for 5 minutes, then adhere to the valve cover only. When tightening the bolts for the cover a good rule is to snug them up and give them a half turn. If you have the quick bolts hand tight is all you need. I am not talking George Foreman tight either. Over tightening is the worst and most common thing that is done wrong with valve cover gaskets. I have never had a leak after this process.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/
IM - sixtsevnss

1 - 8 of 8 Posts