Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
remove or drop enough to change a gasket/seal? I don't see it coming all the way off, even if you lift the motor up until the tranny hits the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You might check Chilton's for that one. My guess is that if you remove the distributor and unbolt both engine mounts, you might be able to lift the engine enough for the pan to clear the pump.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have removed mine on a 350 engine. I took both motor mount bolts out and removed the distributor then I made a bracket to fit my harmonic balancer, a rounded piece metal with a piece of pipe welded to it to use as a guide and used a piece of angle iron with a hole drilled in the middle and nut welded to it and a piece of all thread and used this to lift my engine enough to remove the oil pan, the angle pushed off the frame, as I had my car on my two post lift. And could not use a floor jack. This was on my 69 Camaro.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

·
Registered
202 Posts
No question this can be done. Back in the 70's I installed new rings/rod bearings in a friend's '69 with a 350 and 4 speed. We did not pull the engine out. Don't recall the details of how we raised the engine off the motor mounts.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
You have to raise the engine up off the mounts, but the chore is simplified if you set the index line on the balancer at 5 o'clock (as viewed from the front) first; that gets the front counterweight up out of the way and gives you more clearance at the front of the pan to remove it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Is it bad that I've pulled camaro motors enough over the years that I have pulled and re-installed one on a Saturday morning? Cool idea on getting the right crank position though, I learn something every day!

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Yes you can do this. As was stated you have to put the crank into the correct position (my manual states 6 o'clock) to get the pan off. Unbolt the motor mounts where they attach to the frame stands and jack the engine up untill you can place small 2x4 blocks (in the 4" direction) between the motor mount and the frame (? it's been awhile but I've done it so I know it can be done).

All this is outlined (including where to place the blocks) in the 1967 Chassis Service Manual, Section 6 Engine, page 17, oil pan removal (I have a 67). I'm sure it's the same for 69.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have removed mine on a 350 engine. I took both motor mount bolts out and removed the distributor then I made a bracket to fit my harmonic balancer
Ok, maybe not the safest or best way, but I put the head of the jack on the bottom of the harmonic and jacked the engine up that way. Put wood blocks between the engine and frame for safety. Then let the jack back down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts