Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently had my motor rebuilt by a pretty reputable local shop and I noticed yesterday oil on my garage floor. I jacked up the car and had a look and it's coming from the rear of the motor. Here's the root of my question... it looks like the shop used undercoating or flex seal or something similar and sprayed it all over the place between the motor and trans. It looks like crap... I ask the shop and he assures me that he does this with every motor because they will all leak. I think this is BS, am I right? I assume if the job was done right it would not be leaking?

What do you all think? Have you seen this before?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with you 100% if he used the correct material for the job and assembled the seal by the directions there should be no leak. What I have found out about these Camaros is that letting them sit in a garage is not good for them.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you 100% if he used the correct material for the job and assembled the seal by the directions there should be no leak. What I have found out about these Camaros is that letting them sit in a garage is not good for them.
Agreed, I drive mine as much as possible!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The builder is wrong. A rebuilt engine should not leak.
I don't know what he sprayed all over the place, but it sounds like a short-cut that didn't work.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
How many miles since it was rebuilt?

Don

·
Registered
50 Posts
agree with the previous poster that something is not right..
back to the legal stuff:
was there a written contract/ guarantee?
Will the engine shop fix it?
any photos of the 'spray on' stuff?
how bad is it leaking?
bottom line:it should not leak!
any reputable company should investigate a problem and determine if they are at fault and then fix it!

·
Super Moderator
32,598 Posts
Agree with others here, engine should not leak unless more blowby then the PCV system can handle.
No need to spray on additional sealer if gasket(s) are installed correctly.
I suggest there should be a warranty period?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have never herd of anyone spraying anything on a engine after a rebuild except paint. Sounds like a very poor quality shop who does not know to seal gaskets correctly and I would be afraid of there work

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Total BS, a new engine should not leak,period. Take it back and make him fix it right. I had a motor built last year and had an oil pan to timing cover leak. I brought it back after the motor was in the car and he replaced the oil pan gasket with the engine in the car free of charge. That's what reputable builders do.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Let me guess Big Block ??? They are very common to leak. I have changed mine 4 damn times on my 396. Small blocks are not so common. What engine are we talking about ?? I don't know what the heck that shop did, but it sounds like shoddy work as well.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Agree with the others, properly assembled the gasket and seals should keep the oil in the engine, any spray on gunk applied to the exterior of the engine is snake oil (no pun intended) and should not be there. This is one more reason a rebuilt engine should be placed on an engine test stand for break in and a good test run rather than dropping it in a car and hoping for the best. Any problems such as oil leaks are much easier to deal with before the engine goes in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Let me guess Big Block ??? They are very common to leak. I have changed mine 4 damn times on my 396. Small blocks are not so common. What engine are we talking about ?? I don't know what the heck that shop did, but it sounds like shoddy work as well.
Yep! Big block! Don't EVER use chrome timing chain covers!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Yep! Big block! Don't EVER use chrome timing chain covers!
And if you do use any covers that are chrome plated (BBC, SBC or otherwise), either media blast or grind/sand the chrome plating carefully on the gasket surface areas to give some "tooth" for the gaskets to seal against.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yep, noticed this as well, BBC with Muncie, notice a few drop of oil out of rear of Muncie towards middle to end of winter, then after a few drives in the Spring it goes away, but come back from sitting again in the winter.

Also thought I had an oil leak around filter on engine, turned out to be from rear of valve cover gasket, due to master cylinder allow much room, kinda tricky to set cover on straight and bunched up gasket, switched to studs and Felpro gasket with metal insert and made it much easier to install without gasket wiggeling around, leak gone. It's funny how oil travels and confuses ya sometime where the actual leak is coming from.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All,

Not a big block, it's an original DZ302 motor. The shop has agreed to fix it but is trying to tell me that I need to buy a new oil pan. Honestly I would be fine with that if it fixes the problem, it had a leak before it was rebuilt so perhaps it is the pan\gasket... I told him I wanted it not to leak and all of the rubber undercoating cleaned off. He tried to tell me that these engines are 50 years old and it's almost impossible to put them together without leaking. I think he wrong there but I am no expert...

Is there an easy way to tell weather or not it's the pan or the rear main seal?

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
"Impossible to build an engine without it leaking" seriously? Where did you find this guy? It is possible to have a bad,warped, or bent oil pan that could cause sealing issues. IF that is the case, then yes, a new oil pan could solve the problem IF the oil pan is the issue. Either way, he owes you a fix. Hold him to it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
"impossible to build an engine without it leaking" seriously? Where did you find this guy? It is possible to have a bad,warped, or bent oil pan that could cause sealing issues. If that is the case, then yes, a new oil pan could solve the problem if the oil pan is the issue. Either way, he owes you a fix. Hold him to it.
x2. If the oil pan was that bad he should have told you before installing it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If your builder is going to pull the pan, while he is under there, make him put a new rear main seal in
And make sure he " CLOCKS IT" to about the 1:30-2:00 position. Also, ck back of intake manifold for leaking.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
This sounds all to familiar. It should be a brand new rear main seal in there already. I agree replace it. Did he inspect the crank ??? Many times the crank is worn from the seal, yes the seal, this area should be inspected. I think there is an offset rear main seal that is available and will ride on a different location on the crank. Just a thought here. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts