Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if I can remove the oil pan on by 69Z w/o pulling the motor? I suspect I have a relief valve on the oil pump not seating. Thankx.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just tried it last night on my car due to a gasket leak, I could not easily get mine out (gave up). You might be able to get it out by jacking the motor up, but it looks pretty tight between the bottom of the pan and the front crossmember. Not a real fun job.

Mark

------------------
69 SS, ZZ430 Look-alike, Tremec TKO, Hotchkis Suspension

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
I just had my rear main seal replaced and looked in on my mechanic while he did it.
He had a floor jack pushing a 1" steel rod with flat end up thru the engine support crossmember where there is a large hole, He pushed up on the crankshaft area on the front of the engine, after disconnecting the motor mounts, He got it high enuf to clear the pan out with no problem, replaced seals and back on the pan went, lowered the jack, reconnected mounts and all done. 4 hours total time.
Hope that makes sense

click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Click, that not only makes sence, but it is what I was hope'n to hear. Thankx, John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey 69DZ-

I just replaced my rear main a couple of weeks ago. Its a snap, just do a search on rear main seal, and oil pan, and there are a ton of posts describing the process....
matt

------------------
1969 Z28
1966 Corvette 427
1960 Austin Healey (283/2004r)
1932 Ford 425 buick

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Click -

That's exactly the Shop Manual procedure; once the engine is up, the pan will come off easier at the front if you put the timing mark on the balancer at about 5 o'clock - gets the front crank counterweight up out of the way.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 6 of 6 Posts