Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I dropped my zz502 in my 1969 camaro and I swapped out the oil pan first and went with a Milidon part #30955. When we dropped it in and got ready to install the motor mount bolts we noticed the pan was touching the cross member. It's not resting on it because the motor mount bolts went in no problems. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I lift the engine and somehow bend the oil pan to where it doesn't touch the cross member? The guys at jegs said this is the pan everyone is using on the 8.2 liter ZZ502 in the 69 camaros. I'm stumped....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, we won't bend the pan. I just have regular mounts with the neophrene between the steel pads. They are the ones I just took off the 454 that came out of my car. Will the solid mounts make it sit up higher?

·
Registered
406 Posts
im running the same pan on my zz502 in my 68' camaro. although the pan is very close to the cross member, It does not touch. I have about the thickness of a single sheet of corrugated cardboard between the frame and the pan. fyi.. Im using genuine GM big block motor mount towers and energy suspension motor mounts.

my first question is are you using correct GM motor mount towers, if so what motor mounts are you using? I had solid steel mounts at one time and they provided a bit less clearence than the energy suspension mounts I now have installed.

personaly if you are using all the correct parts and still have a clearence concern i'd install a custom 1/8 plate between the engine and the motor mounts. this should be enough to give you the additional clearence you need and not throw other things out of whack, I have seen it done before successfully.

under no circumstance would I dent the oil pan.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've already thought about adding a plate in between the engine and the mounts. Yes, I am using the right motor mount towers. I was really just wondering if anyone else out there was having the same problems I was with my 502 install..Thanks for the help guys..

·
Registered
53 Posts
im running the same pan on my zz502 in my 68' camaro. although the pan is very close to the cross member, It does not touch. I have about the thickness of a single sheet of corrugated cardboard between the frame and the pan. fyi.. Im using genuine GM big block motor mount towers and energy suspension motor mounts.

Question....your 502 fits on "genuine GM big block mount towers"...can you tell me what the dimentions are or whether or not they are 68 or 69 mounts? My 502 is amost ready to go in and I KNOW I have to replace the mounts and towers. Jsut not sure with what yet...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Also have a ZZ502 with solid mounts and BB frame stands. Close fit under the pan but not touching.

I used repop frame stands from Ricks First Gen because for some reason, these ones from Ricks are the only ones Hooker says they will gaurenty an interference free fit when installing their headers.

Not all repopped frame stands are created equal, so unless you use genuine GM parts....or the repops from Ricks, I assume, you could run into fitment issues.

Adding the plate under the stands might be your best short term fix. But along with slightly raising your CG it could cause you other interference issues if you go too high.

Such as... don't forget to double check hood clearance since you will be raising that heavy big block up a bit.
... and if you are running mech clutch linkage, it will also most likey screw with your linkage being in there straight. It'll still work, but you might loose some adjustment and your clutch fork end might bump into the floor pan.
Only other thing I can think of is... will raising the engine cause your headers to bump into the floor pan?

Oh....and if you already have a tight fit between the trans tunnel and whatever aftermarket trans you might be installing, then that will likely get a bit tighter...

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts