Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what appears to be a two-pronged low oil pressure cut off switch mounted near the rear of my intake.

It has one unidentified wire going to it and one empty terminal so it is not functional.

Does any here run one of these switches on a street car? I do not have an electric fuel pump so I assume it just cut power to the coil or something...

I do not have a functional oil warning light either--just my autometer oil pressure guage...

Any ideas how a 2-prong would be hooked up?

Should I keep it?

Thanks!

·
19,864 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Cut Off Switch

If no N20 or electric fuel pump...no real reason for it IMO

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Cut Off Switch

If no N20 or electric fuel pump...no real reason for it IMO
if it's wired in the ignition circuit, it could serve as a way to make sure oil pressure builds up before the engine starts..

you could also do like GM did in the 80's with electric chokes and run the power for that thru the switch. the choke won't see power until there is oil pressure, which prevents the choke from opening if you have a brain fart and leave the key on without the engine running for some reason.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Where exactly is it mounted? Block or intake?

If your engine is not original it may just be the oil pressure switch used for the light on just about every 80's GM V8.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
yep it may be just oil light sending unit--the one that controls choke ,charging and shut off had several wires to it--i would use different set up if u want a oil pressure safety switch-that shuts off firing when reaches below 7lbs oil pressure-if u run nos yes or drive at high rpm for long periods of time

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where exactly is it mounted? Block or intake?

If your engine is not original it may just be the oil pressure switch used for the light on just about every 80's GM V8.

It is on the block itself and looks exactly like the picture.

Does anyone know how it is hooked up? (wiring from where/to where?)

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
That one in the picture only turns on the dash light in an '80s GM. Don't know how they wire up but I could take a guess... Maybe like a dome light. One side of the bulb stays hot all the time, the other side goes to one tab on the switch, and the other switch tab connects to ground. When switch is made, it grounds the other side of the bulb which turns on. Just a guess though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts