Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, The sweet deal that was today. I had just got my new rear end in today. I was going to take it out for some racing. I started it up. I had my normal oil pressure which is about 65 psi at idol when it is cold. The engine may only have maybe 200 miles on it. I drove it around the block twice to see it the any thing was rubbing. I did not get on it at all. Pull in my driveway and I look down at the oil pressure. I have about 10 psi. It seems to be erratically be fluctuating between 5 to 15 psi. Usually when It warms up it drops down to about 45psi at idol which is normal but it only got to about 160 on the temp gauge. any theory's on what could be causing it?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The first thing I would do is change the oil and the filter. See how that changes things.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Perhaps you lost the pickup tube on the oil pump? Could you be low on oil?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps you lost the pickup tube on the oil pump? Could you be low on oil?
Neg. I am not low on oil. some one told me I would still have oil pressure at idle if I had lost my pick up.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Yep, replace the filter. You weren't running a Fram, I hope.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
This happened to me too.

I changed the oil and filter and all was good.

One other time, my oil pressure started bouncing around wildly. I had a NAPA gold on it then. At idle it would reduce to zero.
I had to keep my foot on the gas a bit to keep the oil up around 10-15.

I got it home and I was pretty much freakin.

Changed the oil and filter on the advice of people here on TC......

All is well.

Oil filters can fail and oil can sometimes lose its viscosity early.

I've heard of it happening in the aviation field too.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Clayton, I was raised Fram and used them exclusively. Heard guys lambasting them starting in the late 80's. I thought they were full of ****, and then one day I witnessed a fram get blown off the filter base with only 80#. And I have seen more frams than I can count that were bulged out. Fram also clogs very fast, and causes oil pressure to fall. Fram admits their filters are built for average duty and says if you need better they have their more expensive lineups.

I use Wix Racing filters on my good stuff, Napa Gold or silver on anything else. fuggum.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a delco on it right now. I have not been real motivated to work on it yet due to all the hard work i did to it to go race and got n3ged. I hope it is the filter but just in case I am going to put and use an oil pump primer instead of running the engine to find out.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You need 10psi per 1,000 rpm. Don't be freaked out if your gauge is readilg low psi at idle.
When I woul drive my car in 96+* weather and the motor almost at 200* at a light my oil psi would be around 5-8 psi around idle(550-600rpm), at rpm it would increase rapidly to 65.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,477 Posts
You need 10psi per 1,000 rpm. Don't be freaked out if your gauge is readilg low psi at idle.
When I woul drive my car in 96+* weather and the motor almost at 200* at a light my oil psi would be around 5-8 psi around idle(550-600rpm), at rpm it would increase rapidly to 65.
this is true. However, it's the pressure change that would have me concerned; he normally has 45 psi at idle warmed up and now only has 10. Something changed. I always try a different gauge first, seems like 90% of the time that's what changed.

Jody

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is true. However, it's the pressure change that would have me concerned; he normally has 45 psi at idle warmed up and now only has 10. Something changed. I always try a different gauge first, seems like 90% of the time that's what changed.

Jody
That is what I thought. Then I started it back up and the valve train started chattering really bad. That leads me to believe that the gauge is right.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,477 Posts
That is what I thought. Then I started it back up and the valve train started chattering really bad. That leads me to believe that the gauge is right.
yeah, pretty good indication. Start with the simple stuff, oil and a good filter. Take the old filter apart, if there's bearing damage it will be easily seen. At that point the engine will have to come apart.

Jody

1 - 14 of 14 Posts