Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little problem here folks any advise would help. I have been restoring my car for going on 3 years now, and when i first started i had my small block built for me, not thinking it would sit for over a year before being fired up. But anyway When I first fired it up oil pressure seemed to be a little low but i wasn't alarmed, but just this week i finally got it on the road. When the motor gets to operatint temp. I have about 15 psi at idle still not alarmed. But when i rev it up the pressure drops, i doesn't climb with rpm. What could be my problem. Are my bearing clearances wrong, if they are there's not much i can do, like i said it was built for me almost 1 and a half years ago even though i only have 5 miles on the motor.Any advice will help.
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DjD:
Sounds like the plugs behind the timing chain didn't get installed...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you talking about the 3 little ones surrounding the hole for the cam. If so what are they for,just curious?

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
They seal off the main oil gallery and the lifter oil galleries so you get oil pressure; can't imagine anyone leaving them out, but anything is possible....I assume you've got oil in it and the pickup screen is set 1/4"-3/8" from the bottom of the pan?

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yah i've got oil and the pickup is right. I even took the timing cover back off to double check, but i think everythings ok in there. Don't know where to go from here.

·
Retired
26,663 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnZ:
They seal off the main oil gallery and the lifter oil galleries so you get oil pressure; can't imagine anyone leaving them out, but anything is possible....I assume you've got oil in it and the pickup screen is set 1/4"-3/8" from the bottom of the pan?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John - I've seen more experienced mechanic's miss them than anyone else. It's all about how fast one is working and distractions in the shop...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, instead of trying to help me, lets fight over weather or not someone could miss the plugs or not

·
Retired
26,663 Posts
I wasn't fighting with John at all guys!! My comment was factual in about 4 engines in recent times. The last one was in a chevelle brought into my friends shop. The guy had the mill built and moved before fire up or something so he couldn't take it back to the builder when the oil pressure problem was discovered... The scarry part was the guy drove it a while.

me - I replied to your e-mail but the address you listed was different than from the one you sent it to me with. I just hit reply, will you get it? Don't know what's up but your answers after I suggested the plugs being missing don't sound like the ones in the e-mail. Were the little freeze plug like plugs in the holes or not?

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
There is another plug in the bottom near the rear main I believe. Now that one would be very bad to leave out. Easy to miss as it is out of sight.

-Mark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts