Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil warning indicator lite in the dash won't work. Has a new sending unit.The altenator lite comes on when the ignition is turned on, the temp lite comes on when the key is in the start position then goes out when the engine starts, is this correct ? ( bulb is good ) I didn't know if the oil & temp lights should come on in the on position or only in the start position.
One wire from sender, two wires in plug to guage on circut board. HELP!

:confused:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Temp light behavior is correct.

Oil light should be on with key on, engine not running, like the gen light. Are you sure the bulb is good? Try disconnecting the sender, put a jumper wire in it's harness connector, and ground the other end, bulb should light. If it does, sender is bad. If it doesn't, test voltage between the connector and ground, should be 12 volt with key on. If it's not, there s an open in the wiring or a burned out bulb.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
You're not using plumbers tape on the oil pressure switch are you? Switch grounds to the block when pressure is less than the setpoint, so you can't use any teflon tape or plumbers dope on the threads.

With the engine off check continuity from the connector on the switch to the block, should be 0 ohms. Should be infinite (open circuit) with the engine running (assuming you have oil pressue)

·
Registered
993 Posts
i've found that the printed circuit board can be dirty and even with a new bulb, might take some twisting to make a good contact. i replaced all of my instrument cluster with new lights and after installing it half of them wouldn't work. i had to pull it out and use a multimeter to 'finesse' the sockets in the right place for continuity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts