Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the site and first time camaro owner. don’t know much about the car yet, trying to learn as much and as fast as possible. I have a 69 Convertible with a 327 in it. the previous owner installed the Z28 gauges in it and thanks to that I can see that the oil pressure gauge runs very high. idle at around 40-50 and runs and around 75 close to 80. first of all I don’t know if the gauge is even accurate. so I need suggestions and questions as to what to check to figure out why is it running that high. Oil looks clean, but I am think of changing it anyway and putting in a lighter weight oil (any suggestion on how light)?

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
Best way to check oil pressure is to substitute a temporary mechanical guage and see the value it indicates.

As for weight of new oil, maybe a 10W30. But the deciding factor would be the history of the engine rebuild. your engine reads like it may have a high-volume pump if the crankshaft bearing clearances are restored below the servicable limit, say 0.0015"-0.002".

Welcome to the Club! Enjoy your stay here.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Welcome to the crew, Eric.

I concur with Ev.. could be a high vol pump...or the guage is out of whack.

Get your hands on some of the manuals, and make use of the archives on this site for info. Just go "search".

capt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil pressure stays high even after the car is warm and driven for an hour, it pretty much stays high while the foot is on the gas, comes down when idling or slowing down.
  • so my other question would be, is it ok to drive with high oil pressure? or am I looking for trouble with high oil pressure.
  • and how do I check if I have a high volume oil pump?

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
The only way to know for sure if you have a high volume or high pressure pump is to drop the pan and get a part number.

You aren't going to hurt anything. You are giving up a little HP and there is a chance it will cause a bit of wear to the distributor drive gear. As long as your oil bypass is plugged there is no real issue. If your oil filter bypass is not plugged then you are basically not filtering your oil because the bypass will be open all the time.

I wouldn't do anything drastic just yet. I would change the oil and filter, run some 10W30 and see how that works. My oil pressure got very hign when I tried to run 20W50. No issues at all with 30W or 10W30

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
best thing to do is buy a mechanical guage at any parts store and take out sender unit put a tee in there so you can see pressure on new guage to your guage in car. i trust an old style guage over any new guage he put in. what style he put in and old style that has oil coming in to guage or electric style aftermarket. aftermarket tends to have bad senders or guages.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I have a hi volume/pressure pump and as Everett says above, crank bearing on the lower limit of factory spec, I run a 15/50 oil
Like u my consol gauge reads the same and behaves the same as yours
I have checked with a gauge known to read correct...and the consol gauges read 6 to 8 psi high.
You will find most engine rebuilder will use a hi volume pump these days...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts