Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what oil pump came originally in a L78 SHP 396? GM wouldn't have put a high volume pump in an engine with a 'stock' 4 quart oil pan would they? I've also heard rumors that they came with a 'high pressure' L88 oil pump. Then again, I've heard that the L78 came with a standard pressure/volume pump. I've seen some big blocks at cruise-ins idleing at 50psi of pressure but I've seen some idleing at 20 psi. I do realize that rod and main bearing clearances as well as rod side clearance, lifter bore wear, etc. has a huge effect on pressure. Since most people think that more oil pressure on the gauge means a 'healthier' engine on the inside, I would like to see a lot of pressure on my gauge too when I get through building this L78. But, I've been warned about putting a high volume pump in a stock pan. It's possible the pump can suck the pan dry and starve the main bearings. Would some of you guys share your priceless experiance with me on this matter? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Back in my old GM tech days, I don't recall ever seeing a high volume or high pressure pump on anything. I do know all replacements were stock Chevy pumps. As for a high volume pump sucking a pan dry, I never saw it before then again I never used a HV pump with a stock pan. On my current BB build, I am using a HV pump with a 7 qt pan (kickouts).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts