Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Camaro that I just bought off of e-bay and the thing is pretty nice. It comes with a 350 motor that is not even broken in yet as it only has 400 miles on it since the rebuild. What I was looking for was more power. I wanted to stay in the small block, but was thinking of getting a 383 stroker motor, but I wanted a bit more power then what the normal stroker comes with. I was hoping for 600-600. I want to stay in the small block area. What do you guys think, and what would be the total cost for such a motor. Also can you get crate engine that will do this? Thanks in advance everyone.

Mike

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
how stout is that fresh 350? if you were to hang a couple of turbos on that thing, you'd get what you are after and lose nothing in the way of drivability.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well maybe I should scale back the hp numbers, but the engine I have now has 10.5 to 1 compression. I'm not sure I could do anything more to it. Here are the specs to my current engine. As far as what else it has, I'm not sure.
I was told that this engine makes about 365hp. I could live for a while at 450hp, but I'm not sure if this motor can do that being street driven. What do you guys think?

ENGINE 350 BORED .30 OVER

New Pistons and Rings Compression 10.5-1
Crane Cam 484 Lift
Hooker Ceramic Headers
New Rods
Oilpan
Push Rods & Lifters Crane Cams
New Angle Port Chevy "Bow Tie" Heads 64 cc
New Polished Intake
New Crane Cams Double Roller Timing Chain
New Holley Double Pumper
Braided Fuel Lines
New MSD Distrubutor & Wires 8mm
New 3" Exhaust with Flowmaster Delta Series 40
Manely Stainless Valves
Esky Springs & Retainers
New Water Pump
Upper & Lower Radiator Hoses & Clamps
New Alternator
New Heater Hoses
Holley Fuel Pump
Crane Cams Roller Tip Rockers
Engine Bay Has Been Detailed & Painted
New Aluminum B-Cool Radiator & Cap
New Fan
New Battery Cable
Rebuilt Wiper Motor
New Starter
Billet Aluminum Pulleys

·
19,844 Posts
Change your compression to 8 or 8.5:1 and get a supercharger ? Big HP numbers and mild street manners.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No worries Georgia69. I'm just in a hurry to try and get as much done this winter and spring time before the summer hits. My father has a few different hot rods and I thought the time was right in my life to hang out with him, and not only work on cars together, but to have a real relationship based on something we both enjoy doing.

I thought about a big block, but the weight issue was always on my mind as I'm used to building rx-7's and having them handle pretty well, so this is a new experience for me, and I was always told that the big blocks are not good for making a car handle well. I know kits have come a long way, but I was under the impression that this was forbidden in a real road/street car. Your thoughts.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have always ran small blocks,I've only had a couple of cars with BB's,I just favor a SB.As far as handling with a BB like you said If you got the money I'm sure you can make it handle like its on rails with the parts and technology thats out there today.I'm old school when it comes to my camaro.I have a 5.0.Mustang thats lowered with 17x9 cobra wheels if I want handling.The part about spending time with your Dad is priceless to me I cant wait till mine gets older and we can build his car together,he already has it(83 SS El-camino)he is only 8 but he knows alot already and time goes by real fast,a little advice savor the time with Dad you will be glad you did when you get older and it will be a memory that you keep forever.Enough mushy stuff, drive the car while you build a motor.

RC

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I would much rather run a SB myself. Well what if I went down in power. I don't mind buying a crate motor at all, and was thinking that was the best way to go. I was curious how much the new LS-7 motor will go for when it's on sale. I don't mind putting a supercharger on it, but to me that takes away some of the all motor style that the car came with, even though what I do to it won't be what the car came with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts