Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm keeping it so now I need help. I have to undo what some MORON did, which is weld floor pans over the top of the old ones, from the underside no less, without removing the old ones. I need this thing about a foot more off the ground. One suggestion I had was to remove everything, including axles, trans and engine, and subframe, and roll it onto a twin size matress to protect the body lines. I don't have a rotisserie, nor the $$ to buy one. What are my options? I will most likely have to do most if not all of this myself, so keep in mind I am female and not as physically capable as some of you.

BTW...there is drywall on the garage ceiling and with the rafters being 50yrs old I don't know how safe hanging a car from them would be.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Good to hear, MB :thumbsup:

Some large jackstands like these (I believe theyre 12 ton capacity) will get it up pretty high:

I wouldnt consider hanging it from the rafters.

·
Super Moderator
33,598 Posts
As Dave suggests, getting the body up is important, my input, the higher the better. You can never have enough room.

However, personnel safety is paramount, yours importantly as well as others walking by and/or standing. The higher the body goes, so does the center of gravity. Having a secure body is important.

If you feel the lifted body while supported is unsafe, don't get under it until you've proven to yourself, its secure. Hate to read more than your shoulder is hinding you.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
MB,

I'm really glad everything is working out for you!!

This might be overkill, but it won't cost much but will take some time.

Make a couple of homemade 2x4 and 1/4" plywood sheathed boxes/tables that you can sit the front and the back of the car on. Make them as big as you want so you can work safe under it. I build stuff on 16" centers using studs and frame it just like a house... And use deck screws so you can take them apart later to store them if you want....

Raise one end of your car up and slide one under and then do the rear the same way! Then shake heck out of her to test for it staying put!!

And as always, work SAFE!!!

pdq67

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
i built my rotisserie....2 engine stands and a homemade bracket that bolts to the bumper mounts on both ends of the car. total cost? 146 bux! Even an inexperienced welder, like me, pulled it off. Bolted 4in channel iron to the front and rear bumper mounts then bolted it to the engine cradle. Used 1500 pound cradle tho......have fun! glad to hear you are keeping it. I built anything and everything I can! I encourage DIY!

·
Registered
601 Posts
:hurray: great you go girl on keeping car. show whos wears the pants in family. as for floor boards welded in place either can do on top or on bottom but rather have new 1 on top and welded for more support.but since on bottom probally cut down so make sure welded all across it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
What would you like to know? I unfortunately dont have pics cuz the 'rotisserie' is 1433 miles from me at the moment. I believe if you take a look at an engine stand, your car and a piece of 4in channel iron, you would be able to figure it out.
I held the iron up to where the front bumper goes, and marked where my holes needed to be and drilled them. same for the back. then held the iron up to the engine stand and marked/drilled those holes accordingly.
I jacked the car up with a high lift and tall jackstands to desired height. then bolted 4in iron to stand then to the car. lot easier than it sounds....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,164 Posts
MB,
Do you really need to remove the engine and rear axle? I don't see why you wold do that if you can't put it on a rotisserie anyway.
What's the plan? Jack it up high, then use a cut off wheel to remove the old pans?
David

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried some last night. Took two hours for a little 4 x 4 square. There isn't much room under the car, only about 3" of space between me and what I am cutting. Not enough to breathe, let alone do a good job. I don't want the car up as Dave suggested, without additional support, and since space is extremely limited, I was thinking it might be a good idea to disassemble and make things a bit lighter weight. Not good thought?

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Can you take the interior out and do it from inside. When my floors were done, this fellow, in his garage, put my car on regular jack stands, leveled it, and did it all from the top.

·
Registered
934 Posts
MaryBeth,
1st of all congrats :hurray: and again best of luck to you :beers:
Have you any recent pics of your project status?
As far as raising the car, seems to me at this point all you really need is a couple of good sets of jack stands. If you start disassembling the car you will probably be like me and keep going and going and going ext..... until 5yrs later you have car parts in the garage, shed, side of the house, kids bedroom, bathroom, attic, parents garage, friends garage, neighbors garage, storage, fellow team Camaro members garages, Ext....... LOL!

OK, I got carried away and was having fun there for a few. But get the picture?
Then the dreaded never seeming to end cleaning the parts and restoring. The dark time :sad: But after all that is all over you have clean restored parts to start reassembling :hurray: and have something to show for all the laborious hard work you have put into your project. :hurray:And don’t forget the replacement of damaged and or worn out parts:sad: as you are aware of, that will add up $$$ as well depending up on the level of your restoration. Hence the money pit.
But it is well worth it in the end. So I’m told and keep telling myself.

I think you have an untapped advantage. Being a female, having a Classic Camaro and restoring it yourself. I think that is awesome. I’m sure there are folks there in your neck of the woods that would freely assist you with your restoration one way or another.
Heck! Seems like most people either have a Camaro or had a Camaro experience at some point in their life.
Everyone loves a Camaro! :hurray:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought about doing the pans from the inside since the car is gutted, however, from the inside the floor pans look great. From the underside is a different story. The metal he attached has a 1" gap between the actual pan and what he added, as well as folds where there is too long of a peice. The part I removed last night exposed some surface rust, but beyond that I don't know. That is why I'm considering stripping this down and starting over....:confused:

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I am in the same situation - I want to raise the car sufficiently to allow me to rustproof, paint, and install gear like new hard lines. The $1000 I would spend on a ready-made rotisserie could go towards car parts, so I have considered other wacky ideas like chain-hoisting the front end up like it was on a fulcrum, as well as non-wacky ones like big jackstands (and corresponding big jack). I even looked at Auto-Twirlers' auto dolly, but it would obscure a lot of the area I want to work on.

I keep coming back to the rotisserie.

RCP

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
An old trick used years ago, we found some steel wheels (13") that fit the legs of the jack stands. We tack welded the legs to the wheels and gained some needed floor space. Nothing moved. If you are going to disassemble the car, you can build a dolly out of 4X4 that will raise the car up off the ground also. Either way, always keep safety in mind. Lost a friend who forgot that last little bit.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I use the big jackstands under mine.It's not as nice as a lift but I can get done what I need to without too much trouble.I replaced a floorpan this way.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
MB,

The jackstands as mentioned earlier are a great idea. I had mine up high enough to work on it. My floors sound like yours. They are solid but they are uglier than a baboon's behind. Some moron welded patches over the old ones as well. It's nasty. They put sheet metal in otehr parts of the rocker panel & rivited it. You can't see it of course unless you are under the car but it looks ugly. I did the best I could to paint it and make it look right.

Safety comes first. I had three jack stands under mine. All three are heavy enough to support 12,000 lbs. Even with a cast iron 640 BBC and a spare 572 BBC in the trunk I won't see that much weight..

Good Luck and be safe young lady!!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Just a note:

The stands in my pic earlier are not the average jackstand (maybe obvious). They are quite a bit larger, like some of the others have mentioned. I wouldnt want to go that high with "small" jackstands without some modifications like Codi mentioned (height and larger base).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.