Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks for the pics ,It sure brings back memories. Sure wish the prices were still good. Those pumps did not have a third didgit.

·
Super Moderator
32,776 Posts
Excellent pics. When I was driving for the company, I'd take the State & US routes just to look at the remaining buildings and imagine their status in the past.

Yes sir, jump up & down on the air hose to 'ding' the bell.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Neat pics.....:) We rode our bikes over the bell hose and by the time the attendant came out of the service pit and got to the door, we were a block down the road.....he still knew who all the kids were in the neighborhood and chewed us out next time we needed air in our tires....:D

There is an old station about 5 miles from here that got sold a few years back and the new owner restored it. He had a portable sand blasting truck come in on a weekend and blasted 60 years of paint off the plaster. Next thing ya know the EPA had 2 SQUARE BLOCKS taped off and a huge vacuum in there picking up all the leaded paint chips.....cost the guy a fortune in fines and cleanup....he never even considered it would be a health hazard when he started..

Gas was 21 cents a gallon for regular, 93 octane, and 28 cents for 110 octane Premium when I started driving....:eek:

·
Registered
130 Posts
It’s sad to see a lot of those stations are not are around anymore.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
we have a very old gas station here in pleasanton cali....home of the goodguys......its still in operation.................

love to "fill-er up" there

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Great pictures brings back a lot of menories from the good old day's. :hurray:

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
You know, I am a younger guy. Yet when I grew up, in my small town, the gas station was exactly like the ones in the pics. I even remember the man that run it..lol..his name was 'Fat'. Then 'whistlin' Tom opened up another one in my town just down the street when 'fat' died. My Dad owns ALOT of all the older buildings, but, some teenagers where playin in the old building that housed the movie theater and the old drugstore and burnt them all to the ground.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Ah yes, the pre-embargo prices. I remember leaded for .23. I could fill my 65 malibu for under $3.00.
Yes..it was tough to make to choose...4 gallons of gas or 5 McDonalds hamburgers for a $1.00 :)

Thanks for the pics Kevin7 . There are quite a few old stations here in New England. With the fast pace here, its tough to stop and take pictures off a two lane highway and no brake down lane.

Kev

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Cool post :thumbsup: .
Every now and then you see one out driving around, but not much anymore. There is one south of me that is pretty complete still, right on a main hiway, it really looks out of place.
The one thats a hat & boots in the photos was in Seattle, it sat vacant for years just like it looks in the photo (real rundown), but recently was removed for new construction in the area, don't now what became of it, but I know people wanted them preserved if possible.

edit: found a link to the story about the hat & boots, apparently they are in a park now hat & boots history

Heres a pic of the old station just south of me, It looks exactly the same except all the trees behind it are gone and they are building houses, and the hiway in front is 6 lanes and a turn lane, and it's sorounded by businesses, pretty odd to see but cool it still exists.

·
Registered
295 Posts
:D AHHHHH!!!!, the memorys:hurray: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Problem today is that those old pumps are antique collector items. Our family farm had those old school working pumps still in use in the late 90's that were used to fill the tractors. Well someone came and stole both of them right off the farm! I guess we should of known better since the pumps could be seen from the road and a number of people had stopped in asking about buying them.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,457 Posts
Very cool pics:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts