Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tricks to removing old gasoline (Paint thinner smell)from fuel lines, gas tank, etc:

I know you can remove tank and have hot tanked and replace lines. Does anyone know of a way to clean the system out without having to go through the hassle of removing everything?

Just wondering if there is a trick out there to get this done without removing everything..

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
no tricks no shortcuts.

I wouldn't sweat old gas, that will wash out by itself with use.

I'd worry about corrosion. I replaced my tank because the fuel started coming out when I was wirebrushing it, was gonna paint it, but nope, thing was swiss chees under the rust.

Rubber fuel lines should just be replaced. They are cheap and it's easy.

I'd originally thought about reusing my steel fuel line, but it didn't survive removal, it was also swiss cheese under the rust, started leaking fuel thru every place it flexed as I was taking it off the car!!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Greetings from Arizona
I recently bought 66 SS Chevyll, Been sitting over 10 years, lines ok
I pulled the tank and had it cleaned and coated, I blew air thru fuel lines then took brake clean and sprayed inside lines blew air, did this multible times till came out clear. Put new fuel filter at tank and one before fuel pump. also did this on 71 Bronco sitting 7 years. Has 3 gas tanks
but remember...dryer air..less rust. every thing depends on condition of beginning condition of parts. other wise, if in doubt..buy or make new ones... Its not that hard Jay

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
How long has the tank been sitting with fuel?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Mine sat for 10+ years, had varnish in it, we had to pull it, it's only 4 bolts and disconnect a few lines...
Over a year shouldn't bee too far gone... try to siphon it out, if any chunks or stuff that looks like sheets of paper come out, you need to pull it, get it boiled out, maybe a liquid latex liner put in, and a new sending unit, or at least filer in tank.

·
Super Moderator
32,609 Posts
You can use a siphon blowgun and lacquer thinner or isopropyl alcohol, buy it by the gallon at the paint store, and blow it through the fuel line.

Then as others suggest, replace rubber lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts