Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what everyone does with their old (less than a year old) issues of car mags. Do you pitch them after a couple of months or do others have piles of old issues? I have been subscribing to the main ones like Hot Rod, CC, PHR and others for over 10 years. I saved most of them hoping that if I might ever need for tech info, but the internet can be one the best sources for finding info quickly. Bad thing is, they are taking up too much room. Part of me wants to throw them away but the other half doesn't. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I've got at least 7 copy paper boxes full of old mag's and I let probably at least a box or two of my really old one's get away from me!!

Old cats too that are great to try to chase down what an old cam is that onebody seem's to know about nowadays..........

Keep them stored away in the dark and DRY and they won't bother anything....

pdq67

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I bet you could sell the whole lot on E-bay. I have several boxes of magazines and I have been debating on what to do with them and well. I have too many to ever find any useful information. I had planned on cutting out any articles I wanted and putting them in a binder (in plastic) and then just storing the binders. Most of the magazines are usually useless info or ads, no need to keep it all. It would probably take me a couple months to actually go through and cut out what is worth keeping. I have noticed that more and more the info is just recycled, not much new stuff.

·
10,158 Posts
I tear out the good articles and staple them together, then file them by subject.
I usually have about a years worth laying around though, and a stack of un-filed articles, but they take up less space than the magazines do.
David

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Tough call.... I've been saving them since the 60's (Super Stock & DI, Car Craft, Hot Rod, National Dragsters, PHR....) and now I've got boxes and boxes and boxes of them and then the boxes start to eat up space. But it is nice to break out my old 60' and 70's magazines and go through them sometimes. I ended up giving away all my old Easyriders to a buddy down the street (whenever I need a hand with something he's my go to guy) that is into Harleys and he was just stunned when I said here keep them.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
If it's a good article that I think I may need some day or even good pictures, I scan it with my scanner and file it on the puter. You can make several folders that will make it alot easier to find your articles later when needed. I too have a hard time getting rid of the originals but this doesn't take that much time and it's 100% easier to find what your looking for and you can toss or sell the magazines.

·
3,425 Posts
CHris,
I too have boxes and boxes of them back to the 60's. Lately I have been reading the new ones then sending them to the local VoTech High School along with all of the Trade magazines we get at the shop. I have a real hard time throwing a book or magazine away. I love to read and it kills me to just throw them in the trash :(

I have been putting some of the old ones on e-bay. Would rather sell them for cheap than throw them away.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I keep the ones that have some interest to. (maybe it's a feature car, or tech article or something) I write on the cover or circling the index what it was. If nothing really peaks my interest to keep it when I'm done I give them to my friends 7yr old and he reads and learns about cars. There into cars and bikes just doesn't get the mags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts