Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In OR, I can find old license plates and register my car with them. I really would like to do this.

I have located a vendor who has NOS 1967 license plates (I think 1965 - 73 were indistinguishable in OR). What is more, they have "NOV" for the month (it's actually pressed into the plate, not a sticker). This is cool, because my car was a NOV build. Yes, I know that my car was built in Nov 1966 and the plate would be Nov 1967, technically ... but, as I alluded to, there is no year on the plate, just month.

Anyway, what do you all think a fair price would be for NOS 1967 plates?

Thanks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
We can do the same with vintage plates in VA. I have seen prices from $40 to $50 for vintage plates here.
I just saw some on ebay as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are NOS (new, old stock) and have never been used. No stickers on them, flat, absolute mint condition ... like they were fresh from the DMV. He's asking $150 for them. Ouch! I was expecting something in the sub-$100 range.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
In CA restored straight vintage plates are about $80 a set and also have a date stampped in them. The ones I got have a new current year (1969) sticker that came with them. We can only use them on '63 or older vehicles though. If you want correct plates for your vehicle you need to know the approximate date the car was first registered and them you need to find out what letter - number, or number -letter sequence was correct for that date. A good plate guy will be able to get you in the ball park and your state dmv should know as well...

·
20,706 Posts
local swap meet here <Md.> last year, one vender had plates for about 10-12 states. All the plates were in used condition, and some better than others. I bought mine for $25, and someone here posted a link to a place that reconditions them for $40. I think I made out?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need a pair for OR. The restoration houses are $40 per plate, so $80 for the pair. Add another $10 for shipping to and from and before I even get the plates, I'm down $90. Assuming I could get a decent pair for the same $25, that still puts me at $115.

So, ~$115 for used plates or $150 for NOS plates.

I'll look around, but it looks like my baseline is $90 + cost of plates if I want to go used.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Watch ebay (not ebay motors) under "Oregon license" or "OR licnese" or "Oregon tag" I watched for a couple of months, before I found what I wanted. I started out looking for 69 PA dealer tag, but after awhile started looking through all tags looking for an interesting combination of numbers. (427, L72, etc.) Most tags sold for 5-25 based on condition...I should have bid on unused 69 Illinois dealer tags which sold for $10.

I ended up finding a pair (consecutive numbers) of PA dealer tags for $17. Great, but not "perfect" condiditon.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just bought a set new, still in the envelope for my 67 in Maryland on E-bay. The number was unique and read "1238 ET" ( I thought it was cool because of the timeslip implications) with an expiration date of 4-30-67, which actually was for a truck, but nowadays you can use either. My cost was $66.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts