Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Trying to make the decision after following numerous threads about different Sound Dampeners.
I want to cover all floor,firewall and doors in something. It seems Dynamat has been the benchmark that everyone compares to. I have heard good stuff about Brown Bread, but B-quiet.com is shifting you over to B-quiet Ultimat. I have read that a lot of people have used FatMat.
If everyone else is like me they have a limited budget to spend and I'm sure you would agree these cars eat money when you start looking over what you want to do. EVERYTIME I think I'll take a look at fixing up something like "Oh' the windows seems loose in the door, think I'll take it apart and fix it". Well, I'll replace this part, and this part, and I should replace this while I have it apart. BUDGET GONE!
To get back to my subject, Dynamat is REAL!! expensive. It would probably cost around $375 for
for enough Dynamat.But this is called the best.

Dynamat $$$$$$$$$$$$$ 100 SF around $ 375

- Is it as good as it claims to be
- One layer enough?
- Is it worth the extra expense or is Fatmat or
Brown Bread just as good

Fatmat Is really priced low. 100 SF for $99.

-Has anyone used it?
-Did it work well?
-Did it go done ok?
-Did it take more then one layer to achieve
results?
-Does it adhere to Vertical surfaces or roof ok?
-If you apply to roof has anyone had problems
with it falling off under headliner after a
while?

Brown Bread 100 SF ??

-Same questions as Fatmat
-Where to get it?

B-Quiet-Ultimate 100 SF $240

-Same questions as Fatmat

Thanks for any input or Opinions

Ray Moore

·
15,376 Posts
"BUDGET GONE!"
I love it.... join the club man! That's part of the reason mine's still in boxes after 5 years.

I'm in the same boat as you Ray.....
And I sympothize with you big time on trying to decide on which of those products to choose. The cost is unbelieveable to me for a bunch of rubber and foil. It's one of those things that you'd LIKE to have, but don't NEED to have, so it's tough to justify the huge cost. And there's so many types to choose from that you want to make sure you maximize your investment.

It's a tough call really. Some people may like the sound\heat shield charactoristics of one brand over another, but the next guy says his brand worked great in his Camaro.
Tough call for basically spending $300-400 to kill a few lousy decibels of noise.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I went with FatMat for several reasons... First, it was priced right. Second, I couldn't see paying all that much for sound deadener... I figured, my car was at its current noise level with the stock sound deadening... and anything extra would probably reduce it a bit.

So, FatMat...

I'm very pleased with how it worked. It is just foil-backed butyl and comes in a big roll. It cuts easily with scissors and is very pliable so you can work it into corners. It isn't very thick and doesn't weigh as much as the others you've listed. It probably doesn't dampen sound quite as well either.

I got a 100 sq. ft. "fat pack" and put down two layers on the floor, one up the firewall and two layers over the package tray and a rear firewall that I made. After all that, I still had about 30 ft left over.

The noise level in the car is much reduced from what it was before. I no longer have to yell to talk to someone riding shotgun. It isn't as quiet as a new car with a stock exhaust (I have Flowmasters), but I didn't want it to be.

So really, I wasn't even looking for the best sound deadener... I was looking for something inexpensive that wouldn't break the bank and that would help reduce noise. FatMat worked perfectly for this goal.

Only complaints I have...

(1) It doesn't shield heat much at all. While driving around without the carpet in, the floor would get pretty hot where the headers tuck close to it. With the carpet down now I don't notice it much though.

(2) Shipping time was kind of slow and it was hard to get in touch with customer service by phone. I did have luck conversing via email. Shipping time took about 2.5 weeks after they told me it would arrive in one week. When it didn't arrive, I emailed and they apologized and said their production was running overtime to fill orders ASAP.

So, overall I would buy it again. I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HwyStarJoe,
Your right,It is a tough decision, the more I seem to look and the more choices I run across the harder it is to decide. In the end though I had nothing before so anything is an improvment. Boodlefoof's opinion on FatMat has me really leaning toward Fatmat. I have read quite a few good reviews from this forum on FatMat and everyone has been satisfied that have tried it.
The price is justifiable at only a hundred dollars for a hundred SF.
I took a look at your HWYSTARJOE's Garage website.
You definitely have quite a task there to get to the end of your project. I know what you are going through, mine's going to be long term also.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I went with Dynoliner I picked up from Summit. One box will take care of the package tray, beneath and behind the rear seat, as well as behind the sail curtains over the rear wells. With just that done I was able to hold regular level conversations without being drowned out by my 40's. Cut out a pattern then trace over it and cut, then adhear with some spray 77 by 3m and it was all good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fatmat is the stuff. I bought their "Rattletrap" mat which /was/ .080" thick and is /now/ .100" thick. ("Dynamat Extreme" dynamat's best is only .067")

For me the difference is this: The car is quieter now with the roof and trunk done and none on the floor (carpet is gone)and the rear seat out. Yes you hear right. With no carpet and no rear seat the car is quieter with only mat on the roof and in the trunk. I just bought another 70sq' pack of the newer thicker stuff to finish the dash and floor and doors. Probably going to make the window seal leaks seem louder, but oh well. One step at a time.

Like Boodle said, to be fair, their shipping was slower than I liked and they're not always easy to get a hold of but geez, the stuff is way cheaper and hella thicker. Oh yeah, it has absolutly NO SMELL. It's a no-brainer if you ask me.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good to hear,I just ordered the FatMat 100 SQ' pack from them. Sounds like it might take a couple weeks but it will take me that long to get the floor pans and such finished up.

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Seakane said:
Fatmat is the stuff. I bought their "Rattletrap" mat which /was/ .080" thick and is /now/ .100" thick. ("Dynamat Extreme" dynamat's best is only .067")..........
Where'd you buy the Rattletrap mat? This sounds like the way to go. I gotta believe thicker and heavier matting will give better noise/vibration damping.

thanks

-

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used the fatmat 100 sq. ft $99.00 deal from their website.

I used mineral spirits first to clean the metal.

It's pretty easy to put down. The roller they send will break so I used my lead shot mallet to smooth it out. Not hammering, just using it like a roller so to speak.
The mallet actually worked better than the cheapy roller because you can put more leverage and weight on it. A ball peen would work good too.

I put it on my floor pans, inner doors and rear seat back.

I didn't do my roof.

100 sq. will easily cover the whole car including the roof. I used 3 layers on most of my floor and I still have some left over.

I makes a BIG difference on how quiet and solid the car sounds now.

Brian.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never used FatMat or any of the other ones. Just Dynomat. Been using it for years and never had any problems. Until, when redoing the interior of a plane, I came across the heat sheild and sound deadener for aircraft use. I've never gone back. The name escapes me tonight, but I can get it soon. It was priced great as well and it's thicker and heavier than anything else I've used.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
AudiS4B5 said:
............Until, when redoing the interior of a plane, I came across the heat sheild and sound deadener for aircraft use. I've never gone back. The name escapes me tonight, but I can get it soon. It was priced great as well and it's thicker and heavier than anything else I've used.
Please post the name of the aircraft stuff. I'm curious to see what they use.

thanks

-

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
I used welders sweat sleeves , they are thick, have and adhesive back and smooth skinned. Does the same as dynamat and same thickness. This stuff is normally oil field or pipe line stuff and there is a lot thrown away... I got the thrown away stuff ,, Comes in differant pipe sizes, they are meant to be put on pipe that has a bare area to be welded, then heat is applied with torch and it shrinks, seals bare area, Like a giant shrink sleeve. I slit them and laid flat entire car,, roof, doors, underdash , anywhere i wanted to eliminate the metal "ding" and to dampen road noise. I then insulated the car with the one sided foil back jute pad that you find at car shows, About 5 rolls. Quiet

I have also use brown bread,,, got it from JC Whitney and there is a place on line but dont remember what it was... All basically same, Almost same as composition roof shingles with out the sand. Oh found brownbread. I used this in my late model firebird.
http://www.brownbreadusa.com/home.html
Good luck

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
zdld17 said:
....heat is applied with torch and it shrinks, seals bare area, Like a giant shrink sleeve. ........
Sounds interesting but wouldn't it be risky using this stuff? Areas around exhaust can get very hot, thus causing the material to shrink. Plus, if you had it on door skins and car sat in sun, might get hot enough to shrink?

-

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Not risky,, will not burn, only shrinks once like electrical shrink sleves. Its the same as your dynamat but with less paper. You have to see it to understand it.. Almost impossible to tear it,, has to be cut .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.