Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we have a few Oldsmobile fans on this board. I have a question.
My friend has '73 Olds Cutlass that has its stock 350 in it right now. He has found a 455 core with a th400 tranny, and he really wants to drop it in his car and run 12's all day long with the huge amounts of low end torque those motors are known for. He has been doing some research and has found nobody that makes headers for the swap (if you can call it a swap). Anyone know of a company that makes some? He has already looked into some custom made headers, and they are around $700 for the set, so that is not an option. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Side note: This is kind of funny. A few months ago this same guy was toying with the idea of putting a Chevy 454 in his car. I know, that could almost be considered sacrilege, but it would be so much easier and cheaper. So he goes over to www.442.com and asks advice on doing the BBC swap, and they kick him off the board! Those guys over there must be hardcore Oldsmobile fanatics. I thought it was funny, so I thought I would share.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's good to know that the guys on Team Camaro and Team Chevelle are not like the guys on that Olds website.

I don't know if it is a misprint or not, but Hedman shows headers for 65-76 Cutlass (not sure why they left out 77) with 400-455.

If I remember correctly the exhaust ports are in the same place as the 350s, but you have a raised deck. So, it might be possible to use the 350 headers as measure up and out to where the 455 will be in the conversion, and possibly use the 350 headers.

On another note, that frame should be the same for all 73-77 Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, 80s Caprice, Impala and 90s Caprice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigDog, thanks for the reply. I went to the Hedman website, and they do have headers that fit a 455 in a Cutlass, but not a Cutlass Supreme!(which my friend has) I ignorantly forgot to mention that in the previous post. I will relay the infromation about the possible use of 350 headers. He has found some block huggers that will fit his car with the 350.

Thanks Again,
Ryan

·
Registered
161 Posts
I might be wrong but I don't think there is any difference in the cutlass and the supreme. Wasn't it just a trim upgrade with a different roof line?Engine compartment is the same.

------------------
70 z/28 4sp,71 camaro hugger orange/white stripes,2000 v8 Grand cherokee.(Former Know it All)

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Actually, I believe that the cutlass supreme frame is a bit different than the standard cutlass...I think it has extra bracing or something. I have heard of header fitment problems on cutlass supremes. I also think that the 350 headers will fit but they have much smaller exhaust ports than the 455's and a greater potential for leaks...not to mention the difference in deck heights that could cause interference with the floor pan of the car. Just some things to investigate before your friend spends the bucks.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

1 - 5 of 5 Posts