Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of sets of Olds/Pontiac Rhoads hydraulic lifters that have been collected and sitting in boxes for a couple of years. Can I put these in either SBC or BBC engines without mishap??? Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
dub, you may be correct, he may need to check as some of those old BOP lifter were the same as Chevy, I recall parts numbers interchangeabliitly, just need to check.

Looking to parts book applications may reveal it, I do mean the older ones. He did not give a date range.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
True......but I also think the BOP lifters were a diff height so the pushrods are going to come into play and probably be too long/short.
Don't know what year engine he had but I did some checking,, the HT817 lifter came up in Olds, Pontiac and Chevy with a JB951 showing up as compatable with both Olds and Pontiac. I think he just needs to get his part number and do some cross referrence somewhere to be sure.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Something about both the "collar" location w/ respect to both the top and bottom and just maybe if the Olds are 45 degree or 37 degree or whatever cam block angle location lifters??????

Really donno???????? I'd have ta look in CC's cat...

pdq67

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Go buy a SBC and a BBC at Azone and compare them.
SBC's are .842 across IIRC...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good evening!! Rhoads lifters were for a mid 70's 400ci Pontiac. The other Rhoads lifters set were for a 68 or 69 455 Olds. Believe they both had the same part number from Rhoads.. I have the original boxes and can you believe it the place where the part numbers are on both boxes are unreadable. Actually one is missing the part number. What I want to do is take out the set of lifters that I currently have in my 355ci with 7-8 lbs of vacc. @ 700rpm and see if the Rhoads' can get me a couple of pounds more without raising the idle rpm and killing the rumpety rump of 245 @050 both sides on an ole cheater "stock" cam with stock lifts... Thanks gennamen!!! T.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts