Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which bowl controls the front brakes and which controls the back brakes? This should help me narrow the problem down. 4 drum original brakes. Master cylinder looks replaced but with an OER part. I am getting spongy brakes. And one other question. Is the gasket for the MC lid supposed to be flat or should they basically have 2 (cones for lack of a better term) sticking down into the bowls?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Back when I had drum brakes my MC had a large single rubber gasket with lid of MC held on with one center bolt vs a clip

Just look at the brake line coming from the bowl that is low...does it route to front or back?

When I did replace that MC I just bought one at NAPA and it looked the same as a stock one

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
front control the front back is back. unless someone did something "special" . lol.

You probably have a blown wheel cylinder.
No the car is 90%+original including brakes. And my money is almost 90% on the wheel cylinder somewhere. I pulled 1 drum off last night to see if there was an issue there and there wasn't. It was getting late after I had installed the original seatbelts back into it (previous owner had put putty in all of the holes so they were difficult to find. So tonight I am going to pull the 2 back and see if one looks blown out or try to find fluid leaking.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Push hard on pedal, release then push harder again on it. Release then push hard as you can to see if pedal will go to floor under all the pressure you can put on the pedal. If you have a leak, it show itself under this test.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank ya'll. I'll try this and see where fluid is coming out. I just checked the MC and all of the fluid had drained out of the back bowl in 1 day

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I just checked the MC and all of the fluid had drained out of the back bowl in 1 day
If it puked that much fluid the leak point should be easy to see. Also check the rear center soft brake line/connection above/center rear axle housing

If its wheel cylinder, replace both and if the rear center soft line is of unknown age, replace it also

refill MC first if you do intend to "pump brakes"

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it puked that much fluid the leak point should be easy to see. Also check the rear center soft brake line/connection above/center rear axle housing

If its wheel cylinder, replace both and if the rear center soft line is of unknown age, replace it also

refill MC first if you do intend to "pump brakes"
I would think it would be very easy to see but I've seen no evidence of a leak anywhere on the ground. Truly baffling. For now

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
If the car does not have power drums the leak should be obvious. Yank the wheels, crawl under the car and inspect the system.

With the treatment they put on the roads today, I've lost track of how many leaks I have diagnosed. Not to mention every other repair shop owner I deal with.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the car does not have power drums the leak should be obvious. Yank the wheels, crawl under the car and inspect the system.

With the treatment they put on the roads today, I've lost track of how many leaks I have diagnosed. Not to mention every other repair shop owner I deal with.
That's my plan for this evening. I'll find it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts