Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed a chrome one wire alternater from my Z to go back to original and was wondering since it was installed in the car when I bought it how do I find out what amps it would be if there are no markings on the case to indicate what it is? I would like to find this out for selling purposes and don't want to sound uneducated when I am asked about it.

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
The only I have from my book, Chilton's Camaro Repair, circa 1973, states 37 amp alternator.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the chrome alternator I have is way newer than that. Was there a one wire alternater in 73?

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
Yes, '72 started with 10SI, actually a three wire, but, internally regulated, 58 amps. Battery, gen light/meter, and sense wire.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is there anyway to test it to be sure?

·
Retired
16,005 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click...thanks. I checked out that website just now. This is what I have so far...it looks close to the 10SI in the pics he supplies but it is all chrome with what appears to be an aluminum deep groove pulley (belt sits way down inside groove). It had a cone on the front of the pulley held on with 3 small screws, but I chunked that way back. There is NO Delco-Remy anywhere but does have MADE IN USA on the back. The front half is like the pic, with the threaded boss at top, but the back half is turned 180 so the 2 wireplug is at 3:00 and the battery connection is top right. So I'm assuming it's a 3:00 position unit. Also, the 2 wire connection is plugged with a rubber plug. I still have the stock wiring that came with my 69 Z and it's been butchered with only one wire connected to the battery connection on the alternator.
1) Can I safely assume that this is a 10SI (aftermarket) alternator. Probably.
2) How do I tell what amps? Don't know. This where I need some help.

:confused:

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
Take alternator to Advance Auto and let them test it. You'll find out how many amps it will output -- and its free.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts