Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to open the trunk but do not have the key. I took the back seat out and can reach the lock mechnism but it will not turn with the lock handle shaft in the lock. How can I get in? :confused:

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Small amounts of high ;) explosives! Either that or pull out the clip that holds the lock cylinder in. Which ever is easier.....

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Use a really loooonnng extension setup and either remove the two bolts that hold the striker plate to the deck lid, or the three bolts that hold the latch mechanism to the rear panel - all of them face forward so you can get a socket on them.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Mark:

Why would you want to go and post a simple solution to this problem. I was looking forward to reading more ideas on how to get in there!! :rolleyes:

Joe

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If you cannot turn the shaft from the inside, then crawl in and remove the clip that holds the lock cylinder in place, a small screw on the side holds the clip in. remove the lock cylinder and then turn the lock with a screwdriver from the outside(or Inside).

TTFN
Mat

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Mat has the right idea to open trunk from inside. Carry a flashlight, 5/16 socket wrench, and flatblade screwdriver.

Once the lock cylinder is out, locksmith can 'fix' tumblers to match your existing door key, if you have one. If no door key, he can 'file' one to fit all three, er four cylinders, glove box is same key.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Joe,
I know the other ideas are entertaining, but I have called the locksmith myself a few times. It costs around $20-$25 every time. The smoke wrench method WILL work though. :D

I would send the 3 yr old in there through the rear bulkhead but he is still afraid of the dark. :rolleyes:

-Mark.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Mark:

Time to get the drop light plugged in so the 3 year old will be ok. Don't forget to give him his teddy bear and blanket if he needs to catch a few winks between tasks. :D

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would take it if it would work. One out of 230 or so. I think I will call the lock smith. Thank you for the grat replies. Weston

1 - 13 of 13 Posts