Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
First off, it's hard to reply to this since you put a chebby in a Firebird, shoud of used the Pontiac 400, but anyhow. What are you looking for out of this engine?Is this an engine that will just see street use or are you looking for a time slip? If this is just a street engine I'd say that cam is fine. If you're looking for a quick time slip, I'd shave the heads and get closer to 10-10.25:1 and go with a solid flat tappet in the 245/255 @ .050 range with around .550-.600 lift to reallt use those heads, I'd use round a 108lsa and change the rear to around 4.11-4.56 with 28" tires.JMO. If you're looking for both, maybe a solid flat cam with the same specs, but at a 110-112 lsa for a broader power range and keep your 3.73's.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Z15CAM, I don't believe that any Firebird ever came from the factory with a Chevy engine untill the mid to late 70's cars (even in Canada). Now some Chevy models were changed up a little in appearance and rebadged and sold thru Pontiac in Canada though, like the Acadian's. As far as the Trans Am series, those cars ran 302 Chevy engines since Pontiac didn't have any engine small enought to meet the 5 litre displacement rule. Since the Firebird was a GM product and shared a platform with the Camaro, SCCA let them transplant the SBC into those cars for competition purposes. Then in 1969 Pontiac came out with it's short deck 303 for these race cars, although none of these engines ever went into production cars either.
As for the original question, more information is needed, like primary use, power brakes?, are you worried about mileage, idle manners, etc....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.