Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, haven't checked this site in years. Here's the story: after years of pondering buying a camaro, I think I've finally throwing my $$$ on one. I've been really close to 4 or 5 over the last several years, but always the deals have fallen through or I found something else to throw my money away on.

So here is the car: '69 with new backyard paint job, overspray on everything, crap 350/350/10 bolt, tolerable interior, tires and rims off a 3rd gen(gonna chuck 'em), power drums, manual steering. What's good about this car? Body appears good, most trim is there, glass, steel cowl hood, rear spoiler. Shoot, is 5-6 grand ridiculous to spend if the car isn't full of cancer or twisted? I have a 454/400 combo to go in it and I have a set of rally's so this thing will look like it's supposed to and move like it's supposed to.......with time.

Am I stoned and flushing my $$$ down the toilet or is a clunky '69 which IMHO is fixable(I mean this thing was built by someone who used an AC condenser for a tranny cooler :rolleyes: ). Also who put in a hurst 1/4 stick "to race" :rolleyes: (I mean, if you put your foot into the car, it would be lucky if something didn't break in the drivetrain). I know how to do things RIGHT, I just don't want to keep looking forever.

Opinions please, thanks

Mike

[ 09-16-2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: tries_to_be_cool ]

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Mike,
Welcome!!
The old Camaros aren't getting any cheaper. If you have the means to fix up the car and think the price is right I would say go for it. Myself, I don't have a whole lot of extra time for major repairs on my car so I bought one that didn't need much work.
Enjoy!!
Doug

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Mike, I myself live in Southern Cali and the prices down here are nuts for the first gen camaros. One advantage we have is NO RUST!! I finally settled on a 69 Camaro (http://nextmill.net/69camaro) for $10k, pretty straight although some bondo on front fenders and tail pan, but there is zero rust except for some in the trunk that can easily be sand blasted out. The drivetrain was great though, 465HP Beck Racing Engine with few miles, TCI Streetfighter Transmission, power disc brakes up front. I've dump probably $5k or more although and hundreds and hundreds of my hours fixing/redoing things here and there, rebuilding the whole front suspension, putting all new interior in, so its coming along, still gotta get the body work done, new fenders and the paint, as well as an Overdrive 200R4, 18" rims, and a Vintage air AC but then I will be done!
I guess what I am saying is although the price is a little more for our cars, the rust free body is a big plus. You hear of people replacing the floor pans where our floor pans don't even have a speck of rust ANYWHERE. With a good drivetrain that you plan to keep I would say $10k (Like I did, though the tranny is going to be replaced with a 200R4 Bowtie Level 3). You said you plan to replace the drivetrain so $5-$6k sounds about right if the car hasn't been butchered too much. If I were you I'd open up the Ricks First Gen PDF catalog and start going thru every page marking EVERY Item you will need for the interior, under hood, suspension from Summit and PST, wheels, fenders, you name, it just create that ultimate wish list and see if the true cost of this car is what you are ready for.. I know I was ready and I'm really enjoying making this car something I can be very proud.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the replies
Like I said, do I need a labotamy(sp?) by not waiting for some grandma to die and get her mothball-smelling 6cyl/powerslide/2:56 peg-legged coffin to fix up. At least this thing looks straight enough and before I drop the final $$$$, I'm gonna stick it up on some stands and inspect the subframe and pans thoroughly. Yes, I've seen cars for 3k, but they really need EVERYTHING! If I'm an impatient idiot, please just tell me, "I want the truth!"(I say in my best Tom Cruise voice from "A Few Good Men").

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Mike,
Excuse me for saying this, I might be waaaaay off, but it seems like you are looking for a reason NOT to buy this car! You've been doing this for "4-5 years" and the deal, for whatever reason, doesn't go down. I think you really want this car, but you're afraid of looking dumb to.....to who? Its no body's business WHAT you paid, what you spend and how you spend it. You've heard it before...life is too short to be insecure! Be bold, have some fun. How can you go wrong for 5-6 grand on a California car? Is this an investment or a passion? Like Doug, I spent a little more for a car that didn't need a lot (or so I thought!)
So what!
Look...you got the money? You got the time to fix it up and have fun busting your knuckles? Are you prepared to resource every book, magazine and message board for details and advise? Ready to go tracking elusive parts? Remember, there's a lot of "advise" out there...somebody's gonna tell you you're crazy, somebody's gonna tell you you're lucky... but you gotta listen to your soul. GO FOR IT! Just my .02 :D

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The Main thing is the BODY !!!! The Price is fine if the Body Shell is good. New Backyard paint job might be covering up rust and Bondo. Go back over it with a Magnet and really look up in the 1/4 panels etc. If you ever redo do the car properly you can easily spend 5K changing 1/4's so make sure you are getting a good body and then you should have a Sound Investment at that Price. Good Bodys are getting very hard to find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I know I'm gunshy about the unibody cars. I have had all a-bodys before. " clill ", I still remember that picture you had of all those cars lines up at your house up on that hill :cool: :cool: :cool:

F-it, I'll take the magnet and look it over this weekend, if the thing falls off all over the place, I'll pass(again). BTW, yes, I know that if I could look at the car in a closed garage with flourescent lighting, I'd be able to tell a heck of a lot more than the thing being outside in the sun. Maybe I'll take my 71 chevelle and park it next to it(perfect body and new paint) and try to get some contrast.

Thanks for your opinions.

Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think cost is most relative to buyer (and seller from their standpoint). Some may think I overpaid for my 68RS, while others may not. Whatever the price, I didn't overpay because it is what I wanted and in the condition I wanted and the timing was right.

The way I look at it is in 5-7 years, looking back at what I paid for it, would I do it all over? How many of us wouldn't mind going back to the 80's to buy microsoft at ANY price?

I believe I know my answer.

Bluesdog

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought a 68. Has a built 350 ( ~20 miles on it ), needed a tranny ( saginaw 4 speed bit the dust), and had stock 10 bolt. exterior good, one rust hole on door, couple dents on the front fenders. Interior was good, just need to be cleaned up good and finished right ( repro unassembled door panels never finished, wiring squared away, crap like that) need to replace passenger side floor pan. trunk has a couple pin holes. i paid $5,000 for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts