Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local speed shop is selling Optima batteries which are marked as "blemished". He had both the Yellow ($100) and the Red ($80), but sold out of the Yellow. Is this a good buy? I know places like Summit want $129 for the Red. The battery will be in a box in the trunk, so any cosmetic blemishes really don't matter. What do you think?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Go for it. Most of the time it IS just cosmetic and they wont sell it if it didnt work as advertised....think about that, it would be a major liability.

If I were you, I'd think about using the RED top......unless you run some ungodly stereo or something. OPTIMA does not reccomend using a yellow for a main starting battery!!! Although I have for about 5 years without any problems.....go figure

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most stores around here (Batteries Plus, Allied Battery, GI Joes, etc.) sell the red-tops for between $100 - $110. Online, they typically run between $120 - $140, go figure.

For $80, I'd get one.

I actually called Optima and the lady recommended the red top. Said the only reason to get a yellow-top is if you have lots of accessories (very large stereo, offroad lights, etc.). Very helpful customer service there.

Red top will hold a charge just as long as a yellow top and should survice just as many discharge/recharge cycles ... according to their technical support dept. Note that this is not necessarily the message they send in the marketing literature.

Anyway, I went with a red top and it has worked just fine (only in about a month, though).

I've never heard that yellow-tops aren't recommended for general starting -- not the message in their literature and not what the lady told me over the phone. She said a yellow top would be fine, but that I'd just be throwing money donw the drain since all I needed was a red top.

Good luck.

------------------
K.A. Young
Daily Driver

1 - 4 of 4 Posts