Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, been quietly looking at different camaros, got close to buying one off a fraudster in Oklahoma until it smelled bad and walked and have today seen on facebook that he's scammed a bunch of people...

So, this latest one that I am really considering is as follows:

It has a Chad golen 396 small block lt1 motor. Fuel injected. Street and performance chrome accessory drive, manual 6 speed trans, ssbc big brake kit 4 wheel disc brakes. Detroit speed control arms , q1a adjustable cool over shocks. Unisteer power rack and pinion steering. Detroit speed performance rear springs. 12 bolt rear end with posi tract Eaton 373 gears.
Thunder road gauges, custom computer tune. 500hp at the flywheel. Engine still under warranty. Less than 1000 miles on motor. Detroit speed headers. Ricks stainless gas tank with in tank gas pump. Flaming river chrome steering column. Pro car seats. American racing 17” wheels. Heavy duty high performance clutch. Chrome brake booster. And I’m sure there is more I am forgetting.
The passenger floor pan has been replaced. No other rust found.
It has led signal lights and brake lights. Front and rear.
It has electric cut outs on the exhaust for start pipe roar or tame mufflers for highway.
Vintage air.
Use the 350 bagging was on it when I bought it. I upgraded to the Chad golen 396 full competition stroker motor. When I upgraded I updated the badges.
It is a actually ss. By vin and by body tag. Code x11.

The paint is driver quality. A couple scratches around where the antenna is supposed to be on the fender. The paint is same paint as when I bought it. It looks great. But not concourse quality.

Owner has had the car since 2011, planned to keep forever but current circumstances mean he needs to sell.

I've got a whole load of pics and videos here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DQVxrqd3E5n3Hg376

The guy seems very genuine and I really like the car from what I've seen so far.

Any concerns or anything I should be asking about and may have missed?

He's looking low forties.

Thanks as always everyone!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it just me or is something up with the upper ball joints?

·
13,830 Posts
Unisteer power rack and pinion steering. Not good on a stock Subframe

Zip ties holding the fuel lines to transmission and along the frame?

If you are ok with the body/paint and it's prices right?

Lots of good parts used. I'm guessing an older build with the LT1

I wouldn't go over $30K IF everything checks out.

Wonder why there are different rear License plates in different pics of the car

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
They don't have a grease boot. Don't know if they forgot it, or if it's one of the newer Moog without a boot.

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
I wouldn’t expect an LT1 powered Camaro to hold its value.

Don

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,399 Posts
Yes, Rack & pinion is not good. You'll prolly have to get that removed. Did you test drive it yet? You will need to, to see if there are any issues with the steering. Tell the guy you've heard bad things about rack and pinion on stock sub frames and see how he responds. With the big brakes you're prolly be limited on wheel sizes moving forward. You might also want to ask him if he knows where the car is from.

Brett....

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Rack & pinion is not good. You'll prolly have to get that removed. Did you test drive it yet? You will need to, to see if there are any issues with the steering. Tell the guy you've heard bad things about rack and pinion on stock sub frames and see how he responds. With the big brakes you're prolly be limited on wheel sizes moving forward.

Brett....
Thanks! What would be the upgrade to rack and pinion and what's the rough $$?

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,399 Posts
An LT1 is the very first engine with EFI that went into First Gens. It is a really old engine in terms of good, dependable swaps nowadays. The new LT;s are very nice, but you will usually see LS's....

Brett.....

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
Hi Don, why specifically the LT1 not holding value?
Because the LS and now the new generation LT engines are what is popular. No one really wants an old gen LT1 anymore. The red headed stepchild of Chevy engines. :grin2:

Don

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
“ It is a actually ss. By vin and by body tag. Code x11”

That doesn’t mean it’s a real SS. It’s impossible to determine its an SS based on X11 and the VIN. Not all X11 cars are an SS. VIN does not designate anything more than 8 or 6 cylinders.

Don

Reactions: yellow69RS

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unisteer power rack and pinion steering. Not good on a stock Subframe

Zip ties holding the fuel lines to transmission and along the frame?

If you are ok with the body/paint and it's prices right?

Lots of good parts used. I'm guessing an older build with the LT1

I wouldn't go over $40K IF everything checks out.

Wonder why there are different rear License plates in different pics of the car
If you were to replace the rack and pinion, what route would you go and any idea of cost to have that done?

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
If you were to replace the rack and pinion, what route would you go and any idea of cost to have that done?
You are going down the rabbit hole. Drive it. If you like it keep the rack. If you don’t like it, don’t buy the car.

Don

Reactions: lonetreecamaro

·
13,830 Posts
IMO an LT1 this day and age is less desirable than the original SBC in a 1st.

·
13,830 Posts
Thanks! What would be the upgrade to rack and pinion and what's the rough $$?
It would not be the cost of the upgrade it would be the cost to go back to a stock power steering box. Parts and labor.

Further the aftermarket oil pan and the headers my not not clears stock steering components, Hence "the rabbit hole"

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,157 Posts
Nathan, I also read about that scum bag on FB. Don't ever send $$ you can't afford
to loose. On this car it's quite highly modified. If you're not a mechanic you could run
into problems. Way too many zip ties used as it's the easy way out. I don't like the angle
of the steering shaft needed due to rack and pinion. Gas tank straps don't fit for crap. The
car makes me think the guy was more into spewing about it's got this and that and not
really concerned about the drive-ability. He just wanted to build a hot rod. It may be a nice
car. At least I don't see anything glaringly horrible. We could all always pick things apart.
Some come down to personal preferences.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts