Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why there would be an orange wire that comes out of the gauge pack wiring harness at the gauge end? I metered it out and it goes to the orange courtesy light orange wire, I was just wondering what it went to up by the gauge pack.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, this wire comes out at the end with the gauges, and has a black plastic connector on it. I have the ones to the back with the rear light.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has to be some kind of compartment light. When you look at the black rectangular connector for the gauge package, you usually see the white and orange wires for the console courtesy light. Well on my harness, you see the white wire in the harness and instead of one orange wire, there are two orange wires coming off of one pin. One orange wire goes to the rear console courtesy light, and the other one goes all the way up to about 3" away from the gauge pack and has a black plastic connector on it.

·
Retired
26,597 Posts
Bill - There is only 1 compartment lamp in the console and it's back under the rear ash tray. There are 2 lamps in the automatic shifter (black & grey) There are 4 lamps one for each instrument (grey) and that's it. Other than the instrument wiring there are wires that go to a switch on the auto shifter (I think green and pink) That's it.

The lighter is a single orange, the heater blower motor is orange and a compartment lamp would be orange as are the dome and left and right compartment lamps on a convertible. That's it, is your harness orig or repro? Can you put a meter or bug light on the wire and test by opening a door or turning on the running lamps and using the dimmer. The lighter is hot all the time is this one?

Your description of the 2 orange off one pin makes me think it was a modification someone did...

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
The orange circuit is live with ign off....for accessories
Out of interest...Aussie Chev...Holden...have basically the same colour coding as American, since mid '60s

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
power is only hot when the door is open.. I am thinking it may be some kig of tap for the factory courtesy light setup?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts