Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making my way through my first ever automotive restoration and need an opinion. I'm going the whole ten yards with cleaning and painting and such, but I'm not looking for tru originality. Currently, the car is almost completely disassmebled.

I'm wondering what would be the best order to have the subframe and and under carriage cleaned and painted. Should I take the subframe out, clean and paint it, then send the car out to someone for a blasting and coating? Or would it be better to have the ender carrige blasted and coated, then have the subframe cleaned and painted?

I don't have a rotisserie, so I don't see myself blasting or painting whats underneath (even though I'd like it done), but I could do the subframe myself.

After that, I see the rest of the car being painted. Of course this is all after new quarters and pans are welded in.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Having just recently done it myself, I removed the subframe and had it glass bead blasted and the underbody plastic bead blasted at the same time.
I then had them both painted at the same time and then put them together.
If you do one at a time, either the subframe or the car body will be in the way of the other and the results of your best efforts will still not be as good as they could be.

It was far easier for me because I made a rotisserie. This paid dividends when transporting the underbody, blasting the underbody, painting the underbody, and making new brake and fuel lines. So, I strongly suggest making or getting one somehow.
I also sold my rotisserie when I was done, so it actually cost me nothing.:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just soda blasted my 67 camaro and was very pleased with the results. I took the front sub-frame and had it powder coated...very pleased. I did not have a rotisery either but built a 4 foot high frame and had the hole thing blasted. It is worth it to do the hole car and dp40 it after. do some research on rust prevention before paint removal. Good luck, write me back if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
827 Posts
i never thought of that, but assuming the tank is empty it really doesn't weigh more than a few pounds. all things considered i would coat the underside with sealer before paint and than undercoat with body shutz from
3m after paint. easy cleanup and cover overspray, unless you plan to tape of the underside of the car. i don't care for factory overspray, it look like a cheap tape job. just one mans opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts