Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I still get a correct power steering hose from a dealership or parts place or will I have to order one? Mine rubbed the exhaust manifold and burned a hole in it. And does anyone have a pic of where the hose is supposed to be routed in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Consider that you may be able to loosen the Hi-Pressure fastener on the power steering unit and change the angle at which the hose attaches. This may provide the room necessary to clear the exhaust. I can't remember right now but I believe you can mount a 2 hose clamp that either fastens to the back of the power steering unit or possibly on top of the frame to hold both the Hi-Pressure and Return Lines in place.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the lines are available from pretty much anywhere, and will cost probably less than $20.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I thought I blew the engine. A cloud of white smoke billowed out from the back of the car. Drained all the fluid out. I had to cut the belt and drive home with manual steering.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Chris, That had to get your heart pounding, Cloud of SMOKE is never a good sign!
I had replaced mine with a KIT from Ground up and it fit like a charm.
Now my HP hose had the orig foam sleeves on it and I just slid them over the new hose ends and into location where the hose had Chaffing issues down by the motor mounts. Use the AIM as your hose routing guide and purchase the hose-to-hose stainless steel retentsion wire clip and steering box sheetmetal clip install and triple check tightness, fill and purge per chassis manual instructions, you should be good to go.
Now if you have headers????

Jim

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Thanks. I thought I blew the engine. A cloud of white smoke billowed out from the back of the car. Drained all the fluid out. I had to cut the belt and drive home with manual steering.

Lucky it did not ignite and burn down the car.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I was passing a 68 SS Chevelle with a 340 Challenger revving about 7000rpm when the 3" hose between the water pump and intake manifold thermostat housing blew. The first thing I experienced was an instant loose of traction and engine screamed higher resulting in a deafening roar when the left side Hemi Muffler blew off. When I got it under control, I could see nothing in my rear view except for a white cloud of smoke with the shadow of a Chevelle sitting on the side of the road - lol

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I had a hard time finding a "correct" looking high pressure hose. Most of the ones at the parts stores were rough texture, and "wrapped" design. The originals were smooth with a solid wall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.