Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to move to my retirement home and my '69 Z28 can't come with me.
Unfortunately, this car has been sitting in my garage since 1979 and hasn't run in over 30 years. Overall, the car is in good condition, but it needs to be gone over. It has 80,000 original miles.

It's an X33 car and all numbers match except for the block, but I have an original DZ block that has an assembly date just 2 days prior to the date that is on my Protect-O plate.

I would like to know how much this car would be worth in the current market. I don't think there are too many of these cars left that are unmolested and still have the original patina. I wouldn't classify it as a barn find, but maybe a neglected garage find.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

·
14,712 Posts
Hard to venture a guess without pictures.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Rust will determine market value imho. You don’t say anything about rust.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Are you serious about selling it, and if so do you have a time frame when you would like to have it sold? Like mentioned, you would get much more accurate numbers quicker from the members here if you furnished photos, descriptions or links. Photos of the Cowl Tag and a VIN or at least a partial (all but the last few digits) would be quite helpful as well. There is nothing on the Cowl Tag (on the firewall between the windshield wiper motor and brake booster) that is a risk to post and actually the same is true with the VIN, but people still feel more comfortable not divulging it entirely. The benefit from posting the VIN makes the history available and some information can be obtained, as opposed to if the complete number is not posted.
The reason I ask about selling is because within the next 6 months I might be in the market for another one.
Brett.....

·
14,712 Posts
We are all in the market. lol.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures.

Numbers in all Z specific parts.

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts
Many will want to lowball you so they can flip it and make a profit at your expense. Or give you misinformation for this purpose.
I've had customers who were misinformed by so called worldwide experts just to take advantage of them when they had their car inspected.
Good post Scott. Jerry is in the business. If he is not going to make a significant profit he will walk, so expect to be beat down on value even if it doesn't look/feel like it. I personally would rather see it go to a private buyer that will enjoy the car instead if just flipping it.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
Good post Scott. Jerry is in the business. If he is not going to make a significant profit he will walk, so expect to be beat down on value even if it doesn't look/feel like it. I personally would rather see it go to a private buyer that will enjoy the car instead if just flipping it.
Nothing wrong with finding a good deal and making a profit. That is what business is about. I have zero respect for those using deception or taking advantage of someone to do so.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Jerry is the expert of experts. He will give you a complete report on what is right (and wrong) with the car. He will have a solid idea on value, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many will want to lowball you so they can flip it and make a profit at your expense. Or give you misinformation for this purpose.
I've had customers who were misinformed by so called worldwide experts just to take advantage of them when they had their car inspected.
Thanks for the warning. I am aware that there are those out there who are in the business of flipping muscle cars. I prefer that this car goes to someone who wants to restore it, show it, and enjoy it. I won't accept a low-ball offer. I know what I have. I doubt that there are very many '69 Z28's for sale out there that are as close to original as this car.

I need to post some decent pictures, but for those seriously interested, this is what I can tell you about the car.

1) I know the full history of the car. I contacted the original owner, and I established a friendship with the second owner, a fellow "gear head." I am the 3rd owner.
2) I have the original Protect-O-Plate, owner's manual, and keys.
3) Numbers that match: Rear, and transmission.
4) Original 302 engine was blown and replaced with a 327-300 from a 1965 Chevelle, but all of the internals, intake, carb, air cleaner, oil pan, windage tray, oil pump, balancer, from the original 302 were installed on the 327.
5) I have an original 302 DZ replacement block with a build date that precedes the original 302 build date by a couple of days.
6) Here are the items that I know that are "born with" the car: Rear (DS code, 3.31 ratio), Transmission Muncie M20, clutch, flywheel, & pressure plate, radiator, fan, air cleaner, distributor, coil, intake, master cylinder, rally wheels, trim rings and caps, water pump, alternator, pulleys, springs, all interior components (except radio), jack, floor mats, steering wheel, grill stiffener, rear spoiler, and exterior trim
7) These items have been replaced: Exhaust system (not a direct replacement for the original exhaust), water pump, exhaust manifolds (currently has headers and I don't have the original exhaust manifolds), carburetor (has a correct DZ coded factory replacement that was installed in 1973), distributor (has Accel dual point, but I have the correct original), fuel line (I have a NOS replacement), brake pads, front brake lines, and grill (replaced by Chevrolet dealer), front fenders, front spoiler (replaced with NOS spoiler) - The grille, front fenders, and spoiler were replaced by the second owner because of a towing accident (the towtruck drifted into the front of the car and crunched the grille, front fenders, and spoiler. The towing company paid for the repairs).
8) Okay, for the bad part, these items are missing: AIR reactor pump and plumbing, exhaust manifolds, spare wheel/tire (but I have an extra 15x7 rally wheel), original vinyl top/molding, and rear-wheel opening moldings.
9) Condition: When the car was running everything worked as it should, but you have to consider that it has been sitting in a garage since 1979. The current repaint was done in 1978 and it is showing its age, the car is straight with one minor ding in the passenger side front fender, bumpers need to be polished and have minor pitting, there is some sag in the front springs, the only rust repair is the typical outer lip of the quarter panels where they meet the outer wheelhouse, trunk, and floor pans are solid, all lights and instruments work, dash pad is curled up on the passenger side, brakes work but they have not been used in over 30 years, differential, transmission, and clutch work fine, the gas tank does leak and most likely is varnished inside, the windshield has some hazing but it should polish out. That's all I can think of, but I may have missed something. Please ask questions, if you are seriously interested.

Here are the details about the car.

1) I have owned the car since 1978 and it has always been garage kept.
2) Trim tag information: Build date: March 1969 - Norwood plant, X33 trim code, base color: Lemans Blue with Tuxedo Black stripes and Black vinyl top.
3) The repaint in 1978 was done with Lemans Blue with Dover White stripes and the second owner had the original vinyl top removed.
4) The interior is perfect except for the curl in the dash pad. Instruments include an 8,000 RPM tachometer, 120 MPH Speedometer, clock, Rosewood 3-spoke steering wheel, console with gauges, original Hurst shifter with original chrome ball, seat belts and should straps, original carpet, radio is replacement with 8-track player, rear package tray has two Jensen coaxial speakers, and tghe pedals have the original bright trim.
5) This is an original "flat hood" car.
6) Rear spoiler is original but the front spoiler is a NOS replacement.
7) All glass is original and is tinted, however, it looks like the windshield was replaced at some time.
8) The side mirror on the driver's side is badly pitted
9) The gas tank leaks and needs to be repaired or replaced.
10) Exhaust was replaced in 1978 but it is not the original configuration with a single transverse muffler.

In summary, the car is a very clean and mostly original Z28 that ran and operated very well when I stopped driving it around 1979/80. So, the overall condition of the car is pretty much what you would expect for a car that has sat in a garage since 1979.

On a side note, I have several crates of NOS parts to replace what's missing and if my memory is accurate, I have all new exterior emblems including the 302 for the cowl hood, oil pump, cowl hood air cleaner, and all parts to make it functional, fuel distribution line, labels, rubber bumpers, door handles, driver's side mirror, plus a lot more.

I will do my best to answer any questions about the car, but there is no doubt that this a real original and documented 1969 Z28.

Best regards,

Dave Butler

·
14,712 Posts
Pictures?

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
We need an auction forum here on TC classifieds!

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
Jerry is the expert of experts. He will give you a complete report on what is right (and wrong) with the car. He will have a solid idea on value, too.
He told a customer of mine the 67 dated steering box in his 69 Z was factory correct when in fact the owner knew it was not. Jerry knows Camaros but he is not a god. Pay for a service that is incorrect is not good business.

I have a daily gear head friend with over 50 cars of all makes and models and the last thing he needs is someone to tell him about his cars. He turns wrenches everyday and I've worked on his cars. Including a real 10/10 69Z that belonged to a mutual friend.

·
14,712 Posts
It sounds like you have a well-documented Z 28 however without the original born with engine it cannot be considered our numbers matching car even though you have a date correct replacement block.

it also seems like to some extent this is a project car. This will also have an effect on current value as it is.

to get the most money it would be better if the car was 100% complete turn key ready to go.

Does the car need to be painted does the interior need to be refurbished? brake system? Fuel system? Electrical? I’m guessing it needs tires etc.

The car can be worth anywhere from probably 20k to 40k depending on the quality of the car as it sits now and how much time/money it will take to get to where most collectors would want it to be.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts