Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to find the original dealer that sold a 68 Camaro? I know that some state DMV's will trace owners, but is there a service (GM for example) that can tell by the VIN what dealer got the car from the factory?

H-dog

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Without an owner history that you can trace all the way back, the only way to find out the original selling dealer is to get a trace through NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau), part of the LEIN (Law Enforcement Information Network) system; this can only be accessed by law enforcement, and they have to have a case or docket number in order to request the search. NICB has a database of original selling dealers, shipping information, and MSO's for every car and truck in the U.S., but nothing beyond that.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) is a legal document issued by the vehicle's manufacturer certifying the vehicle's origin. This document must contain the following information:

A complete description of the vehicle: Vehicle year model & make, model name &/or number, body style, weight & the vehicle's identification number (VIN), as shown on the vehicle ID plate affixed to the vehicle by the vehicle's manufacturer.

Space on the face of this document for the manufacturer to enter the name & address of the purchasing party, usually a motor vehicle dealer.

Additional assignment spaces on the reverse side of this document to allow for the continued transfer of ownership of the vehicle, i.e. from dealer to dealer or from dealer to retail customer. The first retail customer must obtain a title in his/her name, when a title is required, before transferring.

This document, properly assigned to the applicant showing a complete & correct chain of ownership, must accompany the first retail customer’s title application. This document is commonly referred to as the vehicle’s birth certificate, MSO or manufacturer's statement of origin.

Most certificates of origin are printed on security paper that deters illegal reproduction & make alterations to the printed information clearly visible to the naked eye.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
I wish that somewhere there was a database of all Chevrolet dealer codes . I really believe if you knew that, you could try to contact that zone office and try to do some paper search. Maybe work backwards on the paper trail? Wonder if anyone has done this or such a database exists?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Is there a way to find the original dealer that sold a 68 Camaro? I know that some state DMV's will trace owners, but is there a service (GM for example) that can tell by the VIN what dealer got the car from the factory?

H-dog
I see you are from South Carolina. My 68Z was originally sold in NC. The NC Dept. of Transportation provides a service (for a small fee), when provided with the Vehicle's Identification Number, they will send you certified documentation regarding the vehicle's history, when the car was registered in the state. I had to sign a disclaimer stating I would not contact any of the owners whose names the DOT provided. Maybe SC has the same service? Try the SC DOT website and give it a shot. Good luck with your search.

ZAPPER

1 - 9 of 9 Posts