Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, from another post someone has my matching block for my 69 Z. Bare but machined.
The car needs a complete restore, 1/4's, fenders, hood, etc the whole 9 yds.
The question I ask is what is the original block worth? To me it will increase my cars value, although I like driving and building not much into numbers. To the seller a block (.30 over) would sell for $1500 (high side) What do you think a fair number would be for the seller to come out good and for me to pay?
The seller is asking $5000 since its matching my car. I could never come up with that much money for a bare block and most likely have to let it go.
Whats the teams thoughts???

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
You're the only customer he has at that price, so he has no bargaining position. If you want matching numbers, pay what you have to. If you aren't into that aspect of the car, it's basically worth no more than any other block.

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
I think a bare block is worth $1500 and is very fair. I think $5000 is in line if it is the complete engine. I think someone is taking advantage of you having the original car if they want $5000 for a bare block.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ok, from another post someone has my matching block for my 69 Z. Bare but machined.
The seller is asking $5000 since its matching my car. I could never come up with that much money for a bare block and most likely have to let it go.
Whats the teams thoughts???
id tell him exactly where to stuff that block :yes: $5000 is highway robbery.
i can see making a buck but this guy is just greedy.
the block belongs with the car (at a reasonable price of course)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ask him if you could trade him for a different DZ block. I am sure you could find one a lot more reasonable than what he wants.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
hmmm, perhaps a link to the other post is in order?
A member here, even a newbie, should NOT be behaving like that. What goes around will indeed come around someday.

To most, it's just an engine block.
To some, it's a "date correct DZ"
To you, it is one of one, the one and only.

I think some arm twisting is in order here.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Offer him $2k.
That is more then he will get from anyone else.
if he says no, then walk away.

You can get it at a later date, when he is ready.
You know know where it is.
At $5K it is staying right there.

He will never get more from anyone then you are willing to pay for it.
Market value plus a little bit for his trouble - seems fair all around.

·
Registered
298 Posts
From what I have seen the day of the $2000 DZ block is long gone unless you can find someone that hasn't been educated by the internet. I think $2500 being your original block would not be to bad of a deal. Goodluck.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
ok, was easy to find the other post. I did a lil "leaning" and was certainly not the first.

Do we have any pics of the pad and oil filter boss on this block?
The guy is a newb, only a few posts, first in January. While I'd like to think the best of everyone, I also gotta see the possibility of the worst. He says he found your ad on lostandfoundcar.com. We really need to rule out the possibility that this block was "created" for a specific purpose. I want pics. Not that I'd know what I'm looking at, but Kurt and Jonesy would.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!! I thought about the idea of making a block match. One reason I wish i didn't post in lost and found. My other Z had its cowl tag copied, I was ripped off on GM 1/4s that never came and now this. My friends always tell me "your to trusting". But I believe what goes around comes around. I offered $2000 (The restore will have to wait) but I was turned down. I tried borrowing some extra cash from my brother he said $2500 for a bare block, your nuts. So I will call Dave Friday and see what gives. I am ready to walk away and realize that this might be a "make it match" deal anyway.
Thanks for the support!!!

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Thanks guys!! I thought about the idea of making a block match. One reason I wish i didn't post in lost and found. My other Z had its cowl tag copied, I was ripped off on GM 1/4s that never came and now this. My friends always tell me "your to trusting". But I believe what goes around comes around. I offered $2000 (The restore will have to wait) but I was turned down. I tried borrowing some extra cash from my brother he said $2500 for a bare block, your nuts. So I will call Dave Friday and see what gives. I am ready to walk away and realize that this might be a "make it match" deal anyway.
Thanks for the support!!!
I would not hesitate at $2500. $5000 is way high. This restoartion game is expensive, but you would think since 1969crossram registered and became a member at TC he would have a little understanding. There has to be a happy ending on this one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Personally I think it is down right greedy for someone to do that. Everyone understands there are costs associated with parts but it sounds like your block is being held hostage. It's just not right. That's not how I was raised. You help out when you can how you can. Of course I can only speak for myself but this passion that we all share is very expensive and we need all the breaks we can get em........comon man give him a break please. Don't do this for money.....there is pride in making someone elses day.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I think the guy should say.. "hey get me a like block and we will trade and you pay all the expenses of shiping"... that being said I have not seen a March DZ block sell for less than 2800 in at least 6 months.... as far as I know the days of getting 1500 DZ blocks are over....if there are some please let me know because I need one... still , I would hope the guy would be fair with you .

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...I agree with what others have said. Plain and simple, ...the guy who currently has that block is taking advantage, ...and it's wrong.
Sure, he's entitled to make a buck just like everyone else, ...I have no problem with that. BUT, ...knowing you need/want that block and setting a price that is at least DOUBLE what it should be? ...I'm sorry, but there's no excuse for that.
It sounds like you've made a VERY fair offer, ...if this guy doesn't do the right thing, ...like others have said, ...I'd walk.
...I'd also be VERY careful, and check that block stamp thouroughly. As any of us would, you have your hopes up that your block exists, ...when in reality, ...this may be nothing more than a restamp. I hope that is not the case either...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Tell him to go screw himself.....are you sure it's your block? Like others have mentioned..$2500 tops and enen that is way too much....he's taking advantage..

·
Registered
464 Posts
if you are going to do the car completely matching and correct, then the block is priceless and i would pay the $5000 in a heartbeat.i am a believer that in the future the 5 grand you will be glad you spent. if you are not going to restore the car with matching everything else the block is only worth what any other dz block is worth.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts