Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning some parts on my Z28 the other day and I took out the front Balancer Bolt. It has the TR head marking and to my suprise it is drilled with a small hole on 1 of the flats through to the other side.
I have seen this before on 64/65/66/67/68 Corvette High HP 327, any one else have this same TR drilled Bolt?
Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have seen ths used in other applications as a way of locking the bolt. A piece of wire was run through it and then through another bolt which would keep it from loosening. I saw this inside a 1952 John Deere tractor I had. I've never seen it done on cars. I can't see where this would be used on the crank bolt.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Maybe you have a very rare John Deere Z/28?

(Just kidding!)

Andrew
Now as I recall it was matching numbers. Should of never sold it.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Vince Piggins and John Deere were drinking buddies. One night, after a few beers, they decided to drop a 302 in a tractor. It was a "harrowing" experience.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Quote-"Vince Piggins and John Deere were drinking buddies. One night, after a few beers, they decided to drop a 302 in a tractor. It was a "harrowing" experience."

LOL. Maybe it was a crossram/JL8 with protecto plate? LMAO

Actually there is a crank bolt on ebay rite now and it resembles mine exactly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&satitle=320085384001&fvi=1&item=320085384001

My car is original, I have owned it since 73, I can not believe this bolt is not original to the car, maybe this bolt was intended by GM Engineers to be safety wired at 1 time in early production corvettes and Z28,s ?

FYI - Safety wiring is done all the time in Aircraft/Nascar/Nextel etc. as well as many other forms of racing & industrial equipment etc.,etc.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
:hurray: :hurray:
Vince Piggins and John Deere were drinking buddies. One night,
after a few beers, they decided to drop a 302 in a tractor. It was a "harrowing" experience.

Good one!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Further to my Post regarding the drilled TR center crank bolt-

I have looked at 3 local - 1969 Z28,s in the last week, a 11A Norwood (of 1968), a 02D Norwood, and a 02B Los Angeles Z28 and ALL had this drilled "TR" center crank bolt.
I am now pretty sure that the drilled "TR" crank bolt IS correct for 69 Z28,s. My car as well as 1 of the others also had 3 - "WB" head marking bolts to retain the crank pulley to the balancer.

Just thought some TC members who care might like to know for originality sake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts