Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a original hurst shifter and handle for my 69 z28......can anyone help me to identify the shifter and handle i need to bring back to stock...you know..#'s ect...i know the handle is round not flat,and have learned through the search here that the shifter doesnt have adjusting bolts on the sides...any other help..someone please give me an education on this subject...thanx in advance...david

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I do not think there is a part number for it. However you are right, the handle is round, and still has "Hurst" ingraved on it. THe other issue is that the holes are tapped or too small for the style bolts that the "comp plus" shifter handle retainer plate is. In my Z, I put a new COMP PLUS shifter on the Muncie, and had to drill out the holes a bit so that it would mount up. Now I've got a great shifing trans, with the original handle.

Kinda got off the topic, but thought it migth help.

Goodluck

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Thats the way I did it too.

The original linkage is very hard to find and expensive. It is also difficult to find service parts for the rubber bushings that will need replacing after 30+ years.

-Mark.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe you can send your original to Hurst products and they will totally rebuild it for you. I have the original in my car. Just de-greased it, lubed it and put new steel bushings in it. Shifts great and is nice and tight.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I have a restored (by Hurst) shifter with re-chromed handle, and correct small block bracket. Linkage is correct, levers are functional, but not correct. Repop levers are available from resto houses for $30.00)
I was planning to use it on my big block (Yes, I know it would cause the handle to be too far right on the tranny tunnel! But I do not have a console) Anyway, I found a b/b set-up fo my car, so I'm looking for a good home for the small block one.

Not cheap, email me if interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts