Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told once that only the original shocks have a spiral design. Is this true? My 69 appears to have all original suspension components but I find it hard to believe. I just bought it and it did float all the way home. :eek: Suspension is first on the list. I was just wondering if these shocks, if original, are worth holding on to.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I think the repop shocks have only been available for the last 3-4 years. Look at yours and determine if you think they are relatively new, or fairly old. The originals will have a date code on them, repops do not, although someone is selling repops with date codes on request.

If yours are original, are in good cosmetic shape, and happen to be the date someone wants, they would be worth a couple of hundred, I would guess. They would do well on a trailer queen, worn out or not.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I probably wont be ready to pull them for a few more weeks but when I do I will post any info I can read on them. ( I have to pay for the new floors i just put down in the house before I can buy new shocks) :(

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Im sure someone could cut replace guts and reweld them. I have never herd of it tho. You have to have a trailer queen to need it. Or even the repos for that mater. The repoes are the only shock I know of that are not gas charged, so if your intrested in the action of oil filled shock thats the way to go.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I knew they rebuilt the lever action shocks, but did not know they did the tubular ones.

I had a set of NOS "Cure Ride" shocks that took stock spiral shocks and reconfigured them to race. Fronts were 90/10 as I recall. Anyway, I did not want them on my car, so I sold them. They were painted white, and had Cure Ride stickers on them , but still had the Delco or something on them (can't remember, for sure) so that I knew they were original shocks.

I know a guy in Knoxville who bought out the contents of an old Chevy garage 10-15 years ago, and he got a bunch of spiral shocks. They were not in packages, so he said he placed them on end in a bunch of cardboard boxes. He had a hundred or so, and he sold them at swap meets until they were gone. Probably sold them for a song.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts