Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some opinions on what to do with my car. It seems like the thing to do nowdays is to gut the inside of your classic and put custom made seats and panels in multi colors, but I was wondering what collectors think about original interiors. I have a 68 SS that has the original seats, ceiling and carpet that are in perfect condition, you can see some stitches getting thin and some wearing but there are no holes or rips and it smells great. I think the dash, door panels and rear might have been replaced but overall it looks original in excellent condtion for 40 years old. I don't plan on selling it any time soon but people tell me I should replace everything with an O.E.R. to increase showability/value. What would you do?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The reproduction stock type interior peices are no match for original. They don't look as good, and the quality isn't as good. My whole interior is new from PUI, anyone who wants to cough up a complete NOS black 68 standard interior, just name your price.

If what you have is serviceable, keep it.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I also have a 40 year old interior. My carpet is faded and the upholstery shows some wear. The stitching in the headliner and sun visors has faded to a light brown color. Fortunately my dash pad still looks new. Reproduction interiors look nice but not many of these cars still have the interior they were born with. I plan to keep it original for as long as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
There are many nice cars out there with super interiors. If you have an original interior that is nice stay with it. If not, modernize it and sell the old one right here on TC. I bet it will be sold very quickly !! BTW..I have an original delux high back headrest black interior in my 68 and stickin with it :)

Kev

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
My preference is to keep the original interior if you still have it. Can't fault the guys who choose to do something completley different when the original interior is shot or missing. The OER seats and door panels always look too 'puffy' to me and are pretty easy to spot. Having said that, an OER interior beats no interior at all.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I am restoring my 68RS with Deluxe interior and am considering having the dash pad and door panels restored by Just Dashes. I've read positive comments on their work on this forum, and have never been a fan of the replacement parts. Would be interested in others experience with Just Dashes, or other companies that restore original parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a PUI interior. Look close, the pleats on the door panel are no where near as crisp and sharp as originals. The seats used to have pleats, but they all came unstuck beofre it was one season old, see how flat it is now?
Jim,
PUI has a "gold edition" panel that has more original looking ridges. And have you called them about your seats? I had a GTO that had the pleats come up and they replaced it.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Keep the interior original. Young & Old alike appreciate the vintage look of a first gen or early 2nd gen for that matter. The car I own now came with one of those small late 1980's/ early 1990's Grant GT steering wheels. I got rid of that thing the first chance I had. Inside & out I like original with the exception of the tires. Now the drivetrain is another story.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Jim,
PUI has a "gold edition" panel that has more original looking ridges. And have you called them about your seats? I had a GTO that had the pleats come up and they replaced it.
I have not, and won't That 2 weeks of hell replacing the seat cushions will not be repeated until the springs are coming thru!

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Been there with that , orginal is preferred but sometimes you have to go with the repop. If the seats are good, but no shape to them, You could just replace the buns. Those blue deluxe seats look great.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I would try to keep the interior original as much as possible, unless you have to replace some interior pieces due to wear or if you are just going with a different color scheme. Also, a car with the original interior will yield more money from an investment standpoint.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
My 67 is 98% original. The interior is excellent, except for the seat cover threads were letting go. I took the seats out and brought them to an upolsterer. The 40 year old thread was rotting. he said do yourself a favor and buy new seat covers. I bought the PUI deluxe covers from Rick's with new buns. They look great and will probably outlast me. But again, my interior was perfect except for the threads on the seats. I am very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The OER seats and door panels always look too 'puffy' to me and are pretty easy to spot.
Recently i went to check out the options for my new interior and found out that OER has two options compleatly different options for the interiors that deal with just this "puffy" issue. The ones that come pre-assembled are puffy just like you say but the ones that come in pieces like just the pannel alone, are exactly like my originals and look really nice.

as far as the smell of the new pieces is concerned like someone else mentioned, thats a different story.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts