Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it difficult to remove the frame and get it back in the correct position? In an effort to detail the engine compartment I've removed everything (fenders, grill rad support) other than the 4 frame mounting bolts. I was going to clean, sand, and paint it in place but unless someone tells me that it is real dificult to get it back in place and everything line up I think I'm going to remove it. I replaced the frame bushings last year so I know those bolts will come out easy. What do you think? How do I support the car while doing this? Any tips? Thanks for any thoughts. John

·
Registered
76 Posts
John, removal and installation of the front sub frame is very easy. Once the 4 bolts are removed, the frame will drop out easily. Put a floor jack under the center of the frame for support. I always take mine out to do detail paint and chassis overhaul. Putting the frame back in is just as easy. There are alignment holes next to the mounts that line up with holes in the floor. They are about 5/8" holes. I usually use a big screwdriver or metal dowel rod to line the holes up. You may have to re-align the holes after the fenders etc are reinstalled. You can possibly get the frame "diamond" when putting it back in. This would make lining the fenders difficult. just take your time and everything should go smoothly.
Take care, Jeff

http://www.fototime.com/inv/1E98B0191D5EC2E

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff, thankx, thats what I wanted to hear. I checked out your web site too. Pictures are great help. What is a good place to support the body when removing the subframe? (Rear wheels are on the ground). Thankx again, John

·
Registered
76 Posts
John, I always put some 2x4's at the pinch weld area under the rockers with my jack stands. All the weight will be towards the rear with the sub frame removed, so be sure to support at the rear also. This is especially important if you have the rear end off the ground. I've had the subframe out of dozens of Camaros, and this always works for me. Take care, Jeff

·
Registered
955 Posts
Don't forget to remove the fuel lines and brake lines from the subframe before you drop it down and pinch off the lines. Just a hint to help avoid a headache later. Jeff is right, removing the subframe is pretty easy. I have removed a couple of them with the engine and trans still installed. Good Luck.

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Some added trivia - make sure any ground straps are disconnected! Once you reinstall, take diagonal measurements to ensure squareness.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Panther, Yes as a matter of fact it is concrete. You should of seen us getting the concrete truck to the car!!! Does kinda look like concrete color in the pix doesn't it. Actually it is grey tweed throughout.
Take care, Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts