Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 SS 396ci, so my original problem was my alternator was not charging. So I put in a new alternator in and it done nothing to rectify the issue. So I rewired my wiring which was burnt and I put a larger wire in and also an external voltage regulator and horn relay. Now my problem is my output to the battery is 15-16 volts. What is causing this problem and what is the fix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Wylie, TX - Lee
208 Posts
User larger wire may have been a mistake as the original circuit may have accounted for the voltage drop across the charge wire by specify a larger output voltage at the voltage regulator. Does the external regulator have any specifications printed on it?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
If the external regulator is mounted via rubber encased well nuts in the core support, you must run a ground strap from the metal frame of the regulator to the core support. Failure to ground the regulator - whether mechanical or solid state - will overcharge the battery, which will likely explode. Happened to me.

If you have an internally regulated alternator and an external regulator....well, pick one or the other, but not both.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all, it was the external voltage regulator.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Thank you all, it was the external voltage regulator.
Was it the original mechanical style or a more modern solid state style and what did you replace it with ?. Just wondering as the original on my 68 was messed with at some point and was having the alternator put out around 16V but with a little work I was able to get the voltage where it should be.

Jim

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
The old factory mechanical style regulator units REQUIRED seasonal tweaking to account for weather and the testing of the open lead/acid full maintenance batteries and the amount of charge required to keep at full charge.

In our lifetimes with the advent of maintenance free/sealed batteries and Solid State regulators that eliminate all the tweaking, we have all but forgotten the amount of time, and skill these vehicles required to keep out of the garage.

The Wells/Airtex VR715 units - also branded for some of the big box auto parts stores such as AutoZone, and ACME - DO require a particular installation procedure which if not followed exactly can fry the unit on install. MOST people ignore the simple six step installation manual.

From the Wells/Airtex instruction sheet circa 2014 - Before connecting unit, FIRST check the resistance with an Ohms meter from the F terminal in the harness connector to ground. If less than 2.5 you have a possibly bad alternator and connecting the harness will destroy the regulator. Next mount the unit and insure you have good ground. Connect the harness connector. Next start the vehicle. Check voltage at battery. Should be between 13.8 - 14.8 volts at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim,

I replaced it with a Delco more modern solid state style, its the thinner one vs. the larger more fat one. It brought my alternator output from 16 down to 13.7 volts, which is just about perfect. I purchased it at Autozone for about $34.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Jim,

I replaced it with a Delco more modern solid state style, its the thinner one vs. the larger more fat one. It brought my alternator output from 16 down to 13.7 volts, which is just about perfect. I purchased it at Autozone for about $34.
Randy,

I was just wondering should anyone else come across this to see what your results were.

Not to keep dragging this out longer, but can you supply any part numbers from the "zone" ?.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts