Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i gotta 87 iroc z28 camero. first day i drive it, it starts smoking and trying to overheat. i replaced the temperature sensor and fixed the fan that wasn't working. the temperature gauge has to be broken because it only reads a little bit over 100 degrees. i baught a radiator cap with a temp gauge on it. so i kno it stays around 220 - 230 degrees when i was driving it. i thought everything was fine. i drove it a little over 10 miles to go home. i pulled in and everything was fine. i went right inside and back out to the car to get something out of it, and coolant was leaking from it. this just happened tonight so i really couldn't see too much because it's dark. but i got up in there with a flashlight to see that none of the radiator hoses were broke or nothing. so i really dont understand y i have coolant on my driveway. could it maybe just have got too hot and came out of the overflow? it seemed like alot of coolant to me, but it didn't drain the whole thing.?? i would appreciate some help on this....

·
Super Moderator
32,519 Posts
On thre driver cylinder head between Cyl 1 & 3, is a single wire sending unit for the dsh gauge. Unplug it and ground the lead, gauge should indicate full hot. If not, slap the dash, needle may be stuck, otherwise, bad cluster/gauge.

Coolant on the driveway could be from the recovery tank filling up/hole/overflow from engine heat soak after shut down. Next time, check the tightness of the top rad hose. If its hard to squeeze, careful, its hot, then I would say the cap and coolant system is pretty tight, no leaks and holds pressure.

Two twenty to two thirty is alittle warm. You might feel the backside of the radiator core for cool spots denoting plugged tubes and also use a garden hose and flush out the fins from the back to the front to clean the fins. Make sure the front fins are not bent over, straighten them to increase airflow across the core.

Make sure both fans are on when A/C or DEF is selected. All air dams are in place. Most important, feel the top hose for when the thermostat opens. Shoot the themostat housing with a temp gun to read temp, not exact, but better than a 100° gauge indication.

You may have to invest in a new radiator and new coolant along with hoses and belts. Snowball Effect here.

Welcome to the Club, by the way.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Two twenty to two thirty is alittle warm.
Especially when the reading is being taken at the cap, which is on the COOL side of the radiator; it's much hotter exiting the thermostat housing, which is the temperature that's important.

:beers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts